Parametric hole generator?

More
25 Mar 2012 00:28 #18768 by arch dude
I am a complete newbie. I have completed the basic build of my hobby XYZ mill (a Fireball V90) and I wish to put a grid of t-nuts under the MDF spoil board to use with a clamp set. The only precision machine I have is the fireball itself, so I would like to use it to "drill" the holes for the t-nuts, by temporarily mounting the spoil board upside-down. Holes will on 3" centers. Each hole will be a 1"dia, 1/16" deep outer hole, a 7/16" dia, 1/2" deep hole for the collar, and a 3/8" dia hole all the way through the 3/4" spoil board.

I have some wood routing bits, including a 1/2" end mill and a 3/8" pointy plunge bit. I'm fairly sure the 1/2" end mill should be able to make the big shallow holes, and the other bit should be able to do the rest.

Is there a program that can generate the Gcode for this from the parameters? It seem like gross overkill to do this in a full-up 3D CAM program.

Before you ask: yes I do have a drill press. However, it is so small that it cannot reach anywhere near the center of the spoil board.

I realize that the fireball cannot normally reach the sices of its own spoil board, but I can easily build an offset tool holder to solve this forht elong sides, and I can easily offset the board for the short sides.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2012 09:48 - 25 Mar 2012 09:54 #18774 by Rick G
Last edit: 25 Mar 2012 09:54 by Rick G.

More
25 Mar 2012 12:26 - 25 Mar 2012 12:28 #18780 by BigJohnT
I think I understand what your trying to do... I would write the code that produced one hole and use a looping subroutine to mill the grid out. Or just do a G92 for each hole if your only going to do this once. The drilling part can be done with the G81 canned cycle, the counter bores can be done with combination G1 and G3 full circle moves.

linuxcnc.org/docview/2.5/html/gcode/gcod...#_center_format_arcs
linuxcnc.org/docview/2.5/html/gcode/gcod...g81_drilling_cycle_a

If I had a CAM program I would use that to save time...

John
Last edit: 25 Mar 2012 12:28 by BigJohnT.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds