Anyone notice the OpenSCAM project?

More
30 Mar 2014 05:53 #45391 by jcoffland
Unfortunately incremental distance and arc absolute distance modes are not yet implemented. See issue 42 .

Regarding development activity. This project is very much alive. I am committed to it but I am also just one guy doing this in my spare time. I would like to dedicate more time to it but for that I need income. I'm working on some ideas to help make this happen. Please consider donating .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2014 06:24 #45394 by Bob La Londe
I do have to admit that the version I just reviewed is an order of magnitude better than the one I reviewed several months ago. It is so improved that its like a whole different program. I am impressed.

More
30 Mar 2014 07:34 #45399 by jcoffland
Thanks. I'm glad you like it. I did a complete rewrite of the GUI, partially in order to get OS-X support. That's a big reason it took so long between updates. I'm working on an even newer version which has a built-in GCode editor which will hopefully be out soon.

More
30 Mar 2014 12:54 #45402 by bottleworks
How do I correlate the movement in the simulation with a specific line of gcode? In other words, if I identify a problem through your program, how do I find that line?
I got it to "think" in inches by adding G30....It does seem to fight every step by defaulting back to mm. I don't think adding a G30 should be considered the long term fix. Only a workaround. By selecting inches in the program, it should always start assuming everything is in inches. IE, selecting "inches" in OpenSCAM should be the equivalent of issuing a G30. Not all post processors add in a G30. Mine doesn't. LinuxCNC already knows my mills operate in inches, so the G30 is redundant.

A user interface suggestion: change the color of the playback, speed, and direction buttons. They are light gray on a background of darker gray. I can barely see them.
Things to note: the built in snapshot isn't working on OS X. The simulation doesn't actually cut through the material...The tool just goes through it like a ghost. I've attached a screen shot.
I'm glad to see an OS X version and I look forward to how it progresses. It looks promising.
Attachments:

More
31 Mar 2014 01:25 #45423 by jcoffland
I see your point about mm/in. Dont you mean G20 though. G30 means go to a predefined position. G20 is imperial measurement mode.

I'll try to find some better icons.

I think you might be confusing the way OpenSCAM currently works. It does not yet do real-time simulation. i.e. it wont show you the cuts as they happen. However, it can simulate the process at any point if you set the tool to the desired position and rerun the simulation. If you do one of these "partial simulations" and then move the tool position, then the tool moving through like a ghost, as you say, is the expected behaviour. I don't think this is something special about the OSX release.

More
31 Mar 2014 01:32 #45424 by jcoffland
Re: finding the line number of a move. If you enable the Machine State dock it shows the line number of the current tool position.

You might want to check out the user's manual: openscam.org/manual.html

More
31 Mar 2014 03:14 #45429 by bottleworks

I see your point about mm/in. Dont you mean G20 though. G30 means go to a predefined position. G20 is imperial measurement mode.

Right. I often say stupid things...more often in the middle of the night. I meant G20.

More
02 May 2016 10:38 #74126 by mecatron_cj
Hi!
I just tried the new openscam. I do not like that there is the running speed of simulation set at 4x. What was the reason for this? I do not see any advantage. Please make it possible the user to be able to select what simulation speed suits him better. At such factor it could be possible that one be unable to see possible problems.
Thanks,
Adrian

More
02 May 2016 11:14 #74130 by geoffs
1. This thread is over 2 years old.
2. openscam is not part of Linuxcnc try openscam.org

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds