XYUV toolpath generator

More
27 Jun 2013 19:49 #36132 by jfeeney
I have read this post - www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/french/forum/...-up-to-manufacturing and I have been using the software FreeCad-PyCam-LinuxCNC to get myself started with a 3 axis router to do some wood working projects.

I am also interested in following a similar path for setting up a 4 axis hot wire cutter -- one side xy and the other side uv.

However, I can't find the piece in between FreeCad and LinuxCNC. I have watched this youTube tutorial HOWTO make Gcode for a XYUV Foam Cutter [part2] DXF 2 G-code and into UV (
). At first I thought that HeeksCNC had the ability of creating the gCode for a XYUV machine. However, after watching the video again, I now believe that he is only using HeeksCNC to output a XY gcode path and then using GEdit to do make a second copy of the process, change the xy to uv manually and then paste or merge the process back together.

So, I am looking for some advice to move forward.
1. I am assuming that LinuxCNC 2.5.2 has the ability to do a xy uv hot wire cutter. (I only ask because I see from the video above he is using 2.6 simulation mode only)
2. Is there a open source tool for creating the gcode for a xy uv machine or is the only free method the one shown in the video that creates the xy and then do the copy, replace and merge method.

I see in the comment section from the video posted above there are a couple of comments like this -- i got a post processor that generates XYUV gcode automatic on heekscad
you select 2 sketches and press gcode for foam and its done. From this I assume that some where there would be some sample code that I could copy that would take xy ouput and write a program that you help with the copy, replace and merge function?

Thanks, John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2013 05:16 #36144 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic XYUV toolpath generator

1. I am assuming that LinuxCNC 2.5.2 has the ability to do a xy uv hot wire cutter. (I only ask because I see from the video above he is using 2.6 simulation mode only)

I can't help with your main question, but LinuxCNC does have a mode for XYUV. Take a look in the sample configs for sim/axis/axis_foam
It even gives a nice hotwire preview.

More
30 Jun 2013 07:42 #36165 by jfeeney
Replied by jfeeney on topic XYUV toolpath generator
Thanks for the response andypugh.

I have a fresh install of LinuxCNC 2.5.2 / Ubuntu 10.04 from a boot CD. When I installed it I used the entire disk. The next step after install, I used the update manager to bring Ubuntu 10.04 up to date.

I have not done anything with LinuxCNC.

When I go into LinuxCNC and it shows me all the configs -- I have scrolled down to Sim. Under Sim is axis. Under axis is the following 7 sections: axis, axis_9axis, axis_mm, gantry, lathe, profile_axis and random_tc.

I do not have a Config for Sim->axis->axis_foam

Any idea of how I can get the Sim-axis-axis_foam?

Thanks, John

More
30 Jun 2013 15:54 #36167 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic XYUV toolpath generator
John ,
Attached is the ini file Andy is mentioning ..
place this in your sim /axis configs folder with the others then start linuxcnc and it should then show up

i'm hoping that you dont need the development version of linuxcnc , but we shall see if that does the trick
Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2013 08:39 #36182 by jfeeney
Yes, I got this to work...thanks very much.

I had one small hiccup, since I had never picked any of the other Sim configs before....at first when I put axis_foam in under LinuxCNC->config. I got a major error and LInuxCNC shutdown. I then tried picking another config to see how it should work. It asked if I wanted to move Sim to myConfigurations. When it did that I could see more files and also where axis_foam.ini should be stored. I moved to proper folder. The next time when I picked axis_foam under Sim configs it opened perfectly.

Once again, thanks for keeping my project moving.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeanvi31

More
01 Jul 2013 14:29 #36185 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic XYUV toolpath generator
glad you managed to figure it out .
it's only because the file was in the wrong place to start with , so nothing to worry over .

More
01 Jul 2013 19:05 #36191 by andypugh

Yes, I got this to work...thanks very much

Do you see a preview of the wire path? I suspect that nice feature might only exist in master.
You should get something that looks like this:

More
03 Jul 2013 07:36 - 03 Jul 2013 08:15 #36258 by jfeeney
Thanks, I got it working. I am able to watch my toolpath.

1) I don't think I have a "Wire" tool. Should I have one? If so, how do I set it up....I have Google searched but can't find any details about doing it

2) Also, I can only see XY axis....whereas in the above video you can see XY and UV. I can't find any setup that would show the UV axis

Thanks, John
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jul 2013 08:15 by jfeeney.

More
03 Jul 2013 15:03 #36263 by andypugh

1) I don't think I have a "Wire" tool. Should I have one? If so, how do I set it up

I don't think you need a tool for a wire cutter. It would only be a useful concept if you were to have different wires (maybe running at different temperatures?)

2) Also, I can only see XY axis....whereas in the above video you can see XY and UV. I can't find any setup that would show the UV axis

It looks like "FOAM" mode is only available in the development version of Linuxcnc.
If you want to run the development version it is available as a pre-built package. Have a look here:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org

More
04 Jul 2013 03:42 - 04 Jul 2013 03:44 #36291 by jfeeney
I went to buildbot and followed the directions

I picked the files from the Lucid (32-bit and 64-bit), simulation since I have a 64bit Athlon.

Since it was called simulation -- I also picked the sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-sim

Everything installed ok.

I thought I might end up with LinuxCNC2.5.2 real time and LinuxCNC 2.6 Simulation but I only have LinuxCNC 2.6 simulation. Is it possible to have both? I am hoping that in a week I have my 3 axis wood router ready to go. Then I would want Real time.

Anyway, here is a shot about 30 seconds after I fired up LinuxCNC and reloaded my test gcode that I was using in the above screenshots.

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jul 2013 03:44 by jfeeney.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds