cad cam for linux

More
16 Aug 2013 04:32 #37723 by twscnc2
cad cam for linux was created by twscnc2
is there a cad cam program out there
for linux ?
free or very cheep.
if there is, how do i get it from windows to linux?
i don't have internet on my shop computer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2013 03:48 #37768 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic cad cam for linux
Hello,
This issue was already covered several times.
Although the answer to your question depends on what you want to do (2D 2 1/2D, 3D ...)
Depending on the software chosen then you will address the issue from windows->linux.

More
17 Aug 2013 05:27 #37771 by twscnc2
Replied by twscnc2 on topic cad cam for linux
sorry for the double post.
i put the first one the wrong place.
when i went back looking for the
reply it was not there so i posted
it again.

in reply to your question, 2.5d.

More
18 Aug 2013 05:22 #37789 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic cad cam for linux

in reply to your question, 2.5d.

For 2.5D SheetCAM is OK and runs natively on Linux:
www.sheetcam.com/downloads.shtml
It works well if the input data is DXF files or similar 2D outlines.

If the input is STL files or similar solids then I have used PyCAM (free, but very slow)

More
03 Oct 2013 03:15 #39491 by probamo
Replied by probamo on topic cad cam for linux
Though Vectric run in WINE, is there any chance somebody familiar with programming make similar CAM native software for Linux.
Do not take me wrong, all you making effort inventing various ways to place CAM in Linux, it would be better to concentrate and try to get positive aspects from Vectric or Artcam. These two mentioned are the most popular under Windows OS, and the technology they use are already proven in practice.

If you were able to make such beautiful application to run CNC machine under the Linux platform, try to be objective as much as possible, superior then Mach3, why not to make CAM superior the Vectric and ArtCam together.

This is just my comment on CAD/CAM apps for Linux.

More
03 Oct 2013 15:13 - 03 Oct 2013 15:22 #39500 by shopjock
Replied by shopjock on topic cad cam for linux
Ok so Im a Noob here not only with cnc but also to linux. Thus far I'm getting along.

I built my machine from the ground up like many people do to support and move there hobbies to the next level of creativity.

Last week I installed Linuxcnc and the recremended ubuntu along with it. and for the last few days I have been scouring the net for a fair and stable cad/cam program to use.

So this is what I have decided to use until my machine earns its build costs back and able to finance a better piece of software.

www.grzsoftware.com/users/linux-cnc/

my main concerns are:

- user friendly software.
- budget
- time (Its imperative that I get this machine earning its keep. So that this hobby can support its self in both materials and maintenance/ Improvements costs.)

from what I gather most of the cad/cam programs that are really worth while are also not opensource. and designed with Microsoft in mind.

I really dont know what I am doing So if my priorities are twisted on all wrong please someone let me know.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2013 15:22 by shopjock.

More
03 Oct 2013 19:02 #39504 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic cad cam for linux

from what I gather most of the cad/cam programs that are really worth while are also not opensource. and designed with Microsoft in mind.

That seems to be basically true.
For plasma/laser and 2.5D milling work there is a Linux-native version of SheetCAM (but that isn't open-source or free).

I have had some success with PyCAM, but it can be very slow.

There is code.google.com/p/heekscnc/ which links in the HeeksCAD, but HeeksCAD looks to be a dead project. I think that the CAM part is being ported over to FreeCAD:
www.freecadweb.org/ but I don't know the status.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds