Choosing a CAD Package

More
08 Jan 2014 06:12 #42463 by pilotingpete
I ordered a Shapeoko mechanical kit to make a pick and place machine and thought I would use LinuxCNC to control it.

Then I started thinking how close I would be to having a dremel "mill", a laser cutter and even a 3D printer. My question is if LinuxCNC the right CAD package for my Shapeoko hardware kit if I wanted to make a "mill", 3D Printer, laser cutter AND Pick and place machine combo?

Reality may dictate that I end up with 4 separate machines, so the question is really about the suitability of LinuxCNC for the tasks described and not so much about the usefulness of a CNC combination machine.

Thanks,

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2014 14:06 #42473 by somenewguy
Replied by somenewguy on topic Choosing a CAD Package
linuxcnc is just a machine controll package, not a CAD package. I can suggest freecad however is a free CAD package that has finally gotten its feet underitself. Otherwise HEEKScad/cam would be a good place to look, as it is a cad and cam package designed for a purpose. I only just heard about it and have no experience, but it looks promising.

More
08 Jan 2014 14:49 #42475 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Choosing a CAD Package
Halo Pete,

all the hardware you mentioned can be controled with LinuxCNC, you may even use only one PC to control every hardware just picking an other configuration file. And for the Pick and Place you can even design a "custom panel, to control thta, because fpr a pick and place you do not need a GUI, just ON / OFF, Refernce of all axis and thats it, all the other movements will be controlled by IO signals from other hardware.

So yes, LinuxCNC is the right program to control your machine.

Norbert

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds