Inkscape / F-Engrave Question

More
24 Feb 2014 13:01 - 24 Feb 2014 13:02 #44103 by ChasW
I am relatively new to CAD/CAM and CNC and am trying to come up with a simple procedure for cutting a rectangular recess using Inkscape -> F-engrave -> LinuxCNC.

I have a rectangle drawn in Inkscape and fill it using the fill tool and then export it as DXF, but when opened with F-engrave, F-engrave sees only a rectanglular border not a filled rectangle. Same thing with DXF2GCODE. It only seems to be seeing the shape as a basic rectangle not a filled rectangle.

I assume that I am either not filling the rectangle properly in Inkscape or the "fill" information isn't making it into the DXF.

Everything else in the pipeline seems to be working well.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 13:02 by ChasW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2014 01:37 #44142 by BigJohnT
If it is just a simple shape it is faster to just write the G code by hand.

There are lots of simple G code generators on the wiki.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Simple...NC_G-Code_Generators

And pockets are soon to be added to my Mill G code Generator I think.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChasW

More
25 Feb 2014 02:26 #44148 by ChasW
Replied by ChasW on topic Inkscape / F-Engrave Question
Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned I'm new to this. I am a long time C/C++ programmer, but haven't gotten around to learning to write G code by hand yet.

I believe pocket milling is what I am currently trying to do. I want to remove a precise rectangular solid from an arbitrary sized piece of MDF. From your link I see that pycam is listed. I have that as well and have been trying to get it to generate G code for a pocket cut using one of its included samples, Box0.stl. So far it looks like it wants to do the inverse of what I need, that is, cut everywhere around the rectangular solid.

More
25 Feb 2014 02:40 #44149 by ChasW
Replied by ChasW on topic Inkscape / F-Engrave Question
Of course it helps if I read the manual more closely. Pocketing does seem to be supported. I had to select the engraving toolpath.
Time to experiment.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds