cncdiy usb-parallel & Linux CNC

More
15 Aug 2014 11:59 #49883 by lfjill
Hello. I bought a cncdiy usb to parallel card and some drives and stepping motors to rebuild a plasma system. I was told to use Mach3 but I want to use Linux CNC, ¿Is there somebody who have done that? ¿Do I need an extra driver to get the card recognized by Linux CNC? ¿Some suggestion?

If I get sheetcam to get the G Code of a design, is it an "all you need" application or I have besides to use Linux CNC or Mach3?

Thank you for your assistance.
Luis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2014 12:36 #49884 by cmorley
unfortunately USB to parallel will not work with linuxcnc.
USB is not realtime enough for us.

Chris M

More
16 Aug 2014 11:05 #49915 by lfjill
Then how do you interface Linux CNC with stepping motors? I supposed this card was better than the parallel because that interface is old and need an obsolete parallel port (centronics) so not very fast.

Althoug it doesn't be optimal, it doesn't work at all with this cncdiy card? Have you tried with this card?
Although it be slower than the optimal? I only need to work with two axis. Are you sure it doesn´t work?

More
16 Aug 2014 12:42 #49917 by cmorley
using a real parallel port either integrated in the compouter or added from a PCI interface
or a pci/pcie port, using a interface card such as Mesa supplies

No I have not tried that card. No it will not work.
Linuxcnc can not use USB for motion control (you can use USB for other things)
The card you have purchased seems to be mach3 only :(

This is a bit old: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_Supported_Hardware

and here is why USB won't work (fairly technical) wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Emc2HardwareDesign

Chris M

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds