Validating LinuxCNC Post for Autodesk CAM

More
08 Nov 2015 19:14 #64983 by andypugh

andypugh wrote: But, if you are in that position, Inventor + CAM is £7500 and that is probably what you would choose.


Reading that review, maybe _you_ wouldn't, but I would as I was a full-time CAD designer in a previous job and used Inventor 8 hours a day. I would probably find the CAD that you find intuitive totally unintuitive...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2015 20:32 #64986 by yoshimitsuspeed
Yeah I hate Inventor but I guess it works for some people.
I wish there were more good options for Linux. I have to run Windows on a couple machines solely for CAD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2015 22:18 #64991 by RayJr
Have you tried out Onshape? (onshape.com)
It is from the original Solidworks team, is online, and works with most browsers.
I don't know if there is a CAM plugin yet.

Ray M.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2015 00:25 #64997 by yoshimitsuspeed

RayJr wrote: Have you tried out Onshape? (onshape.com)
It is from the original Solidworks team, is online, and works with most browsers.
I don't know if there is a CAM plugin yet.

Ray M.


I have a little bit.
One big thing is that I started F360 before they came out with ultimate and am therefore grandfathered in to $360/year for the ultimate version.
Onshape is like $1600 per year and has no CAM. I spent about 10 minutes on their forum researching whether they had plans for it and realized that their dev team seemed like just a big of aholes as AD and that they firmly believed that they didn't want to integrate CAM.
For that much money with no CAM I'd probably just get Solid Edge or something.
I have spent a little time playing with it and it seems like they took a slightly different approach.
Autodesk wanted a big flashy program that drew people in so they focused on cool attention getters like simulation, CAM, rendering and a bunch of other things that work okay but are taking ever to improve because they have so much going on. This has also led to serious stability issues.
It seems like Onshape took more of a one thing at a time approach. I have heard that it is much more stable and that there are some things some people like better like the sketching environment however it is not very capable either. I definitely don't see it being capable enough to justify the cost.
I have learned my lesson with F360. If I left it I would do it for stable software that has been proven to be production ready instead of falling for a new brands false promises of being production ready when they are far from it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2015 02:08 #64998 by andypugh

yoshimitsuspeed wrote: One big thing is that I started F360 before they came out with ultimate and am therefore grandfathered in to $360/year for the ultimate version. .


Do you qualify for the "Startup" (<100k$ turnover) rate which is free? I can see that the risk of losing your current deal might make that a bad choice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2015 05:54 #65003 by yoshimitsuspeed

andypugh wrote:

yoshimitsuspeed wrote: One big thing is that I started F360 before they came out with ultimate and am therefore grandfathered in to $360/year for the ultimate version. .


Do you qualify for the "Startup" (<100k$ turnover) rate which is free? I can see that the risk of losing your current deal might make that a bad choice.


Yeah exactly, I'd loose my pricing and when I needed to start paying I would need to pay 4 times more which just wouldn't be worth it to me. Unless a lot changed by then.
I haven't looked into the details much but if that is gross revenue since I do online retail I may be pretty close right now even though I don't make jack for profit lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum