cad/cam for cnc router & lathe

More
15 May 2015 17:34 #58722 by BigJohnT
I use Sheetcam for my plasma cutter. Took some fiddling with the post processor to make it work for my needs.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2015 17:46 #58725 by andypugh

Meshcam & sheetcam output compatible code for linuxcnc?

Yes. And both work under Linux too. (using Wine in the case of MeshCAM)
www.grzsoftware.com/users/linux-cnc/
www.sheetcam.com/downloads
CamBam runs natively on Linux: www.cambam.info/ref/ref.linux

None of the above are Open Source as far as I know.

More
27 Dec 2018 23:18 #122986 by clunc
+1 for Meshcam.

Have used it for years, stably, in Linux, using Wine (both 32- and 64-bit versions; you have to make sure the Linux WINEDIR_PREFIX variable is set correctly, whatever its correct name is, before launching the latter).

Meshcam also permits customization of, or brand-new, configuration files (the .CON files in the \POSTS\ directory). Meshcam reads in a 3D model file (or a 2D black-and-white drawing for which it will interpret relative brightness as depth), and generate G-code in the "flavor" of whatever post-processor you select (to match the machine to run it).

More
29 Mar 2019 16:29 #129907 by Vitran
What about lathes specifically?
What CAM can produce things like parting, profiles, drilling, and threading on the lathe? We use Autodesk Inventor Professional which does not include HSM for lathes. I own a license of CamBam, but as far as I can tell it does not have much lathe capability shy of 'follow the curve' and compensate for tip radius but not tool direction.

Has anyone have any luck with Fusion 360 CAM for lathe work? Is it free for use?

My current guess is I will be writing a lot of threading/facing/parting commands by hand.

More
29 Mar 2019 17:02 #129910 by andypugh

Has anyone have any luck with Fusion 360 CAM for lathe work?

Yes, in fact I used it last night. I have a postprocessor for LinuxCNC lathe but can't remember where it came from. Nor do I know if the standard LinuxCNC postprocessor now works properly (it is quite likely that it does)

Is it free for use?

It can be, but only for non-profit or startup companies.

More
30 Mar 2019 02:02 #129953 by cmelojr

Has anyone have any luck with Fusion 360 CAM for lathe work? Is it free for use?

It's good, haven't used it for Linuxcnc but with Okuma Lathes. It's not as robust as the milling CAM is but it's quite good. In many ways I prefer it over Mastercam.

More
30 Mar 2019 08:21 - 30 Mar 2019 08:23 #129958 by pl7i92
For Standard parts heekcnc can do lathe
it is on a Repro for Linux

launchpad.net/~neomilium/+archive/ubuntu/heekscnc-devel
Last edit: 30 Mar 2019 08:23 by pl7i92. Reason: link

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds