2-Axis Router Lathe with Rotary Spindle (stepper)

More
22 Nov 2016 05:59 #83110 by navarrma
Hey all, i'm new to the forum and I work out of TXRX Labs in Houston where you held one of the annual conferences a year ago or so... I'm no CNC genius (whatsoever) but we just got our router lathe (x-axis along the bed, z axis for depth of router to centerline (no y control) and I currently have the rotary axis set as A. This is all functional.

I mostly CAD/CAM with Inventor and HSMworks plugin, but it won't let me change the rotary axis to anything other than Z.

Is there a CAM solution that would easily accept this configuration? (hobbyist budget)

I included the DXF file...its 4 radius points met by straight lines, I was hoping to index by a slight angle and take xz axis passes at each angle.

Let me know if this is stupid or I'm missing something obvious.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2016 09:16 #83114 by andypugh
I would suggest that it will be much easier to change what you call the axes of the machine rather than struggle with making CAM understand your naming convention.

If you call the long axis Z, the vertical axis X and the rotary axis C you will have a conventional lathe and lathe CAM will work.

If, However, you are actually doing indexed rather than continuous rotary axis work then you can set the tool alignment for each feature. This video explains it quite well (using Fusion, but Fusion ans Inventor CAM seem effectively identical)

Not having Y control might be something you come to regret, it means you can't make flats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cts1085, navarrma

More
23 Nov 2016 03:38 #83156 by navarrma
I'll be trying that in a few minutes. Thank you

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds