Path: Selecting partial holes for drilling operation

More
24 Oct 2022 18:36 #254939 by fletch
My mill is very nearly done so I foolishly offered to do a 'small' project for my daughter's boyfriend as a thank you for getting a very old engine running... Part of that gift is a GT2 gear in the shape of a 'C' (see attached screenshot - I haven't uploaded the FCStd because it's a small cog in a larger project but I can recreate it if need be).

My cunning plan for my first(!) Path job for the teeth was the following:

1. Drill ~ 150 2mm holes around the circumference
2. End mill (5mm) to within 0.1mm of the circumference
3. End mill (2mm) to clean up and put the 'fillet' on the teeth

Feel free to tell me if this is not a reasonable approach, but I'm struggling with step 1* - I cannot select the 2mm inner radius of the teeth for a drilling operation. I tested this with a slot in another part and was able to select the end(s) of the slot for drilling, so is this possible on what is effectively an un-closed 'slot'? Or rather, 150 of them (will I have to select them individually?).

My workaround would be to create a dummy model just with the holes but that feels like cheating.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome.

* I will probably also struggle with steps 2 & 3 when I get to them...

PS, I couldn't find a 'Path' category - would there be any mileage in separating some workbenches?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2022 19:44 #254948 by tommylight
Moved to "CAM" section.
"Path" is a FreeCAD addon for generating gcode used in CNC machines, and as such it has nothing to do with LinuxCNC, till you need that gcode to be run by LinuxCNC. :)
I use Freecad a lot lately, i need a mount or a part, design, export, slice, print!
Did you notice "slice"? I use for 3D printing, never used Path, yet, so can not help, sorry.
There are some here, pretty sure one is developer of Path, so he might be a much better help than me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fletch

More
24 Oct 2022 20:00 #254952 by fletch
I'm an idiot - I meant to post this on the FreeCAD forum! Path is a FreeCAD workbench... Feel free to delete the entire thread... (I blame the virus)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Oct 2022 20:11 #254955 by tommylight
No, not deleting it, there are more people using it as time goes by, so leaving it here, if yoi figure it out please do report back, it might help others here ... or me when i build my mill, whenever that may come to pass. :)
Thank you.

More
24 Oct 2022 20:38 #254958 by fletch
I've started a topic in the *correct* forum... Hope your mill happens soon.

forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72892
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds