Looking for suggestions on a better CAD/CAM program.

More
30 Sep 2023 03:37 #281905 by Sray69
When I first got my Router CNC up and running I did a little research on CAD/CAM programs to try and determine what would work best for my situation. I mainly do 2D sheet goods. 

I am currently using Carbide Create Pro which is fairly easy to use and quick to design projects. But it has its flaws. Right now my biggest issue is there is no nesting AND it is VERY inefficient. My CNC is 4'x4' and I cut a lot of parts out of half sheets of plywood and when the jobs run there is no rhyme of reason to the order it cuts the parts. It almost seems like it purposely moves to the next furthest part away from the cut it just finished. It is ridiculous. I bet if it were to be logical and efficient in its cuts I could shave my cut times in half.  

I came from the Fusion 360 world and dumped them a few years back because of the way they do business. I have used Easel before and it was pretty easy as well. Not sure if it has the same issues that I am having now. I was hoping to find something that is reasonably priced/free that has nesting option and the ability to cut more efficiently. Oh AND does not have a big learning curve. I just do not have the time to invest in something with a HUGE learning curve. Plus I did that with Fusion and feel like it was a huge waste of my time. 

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2023 12:17 #281928 by rodw
for 2D, you could look at Sheetcam. It just needs a DXF file for 2D. It lets you nest your parts too. Almost everybody who has a plasma cutter uses Sheetcam and it does support routers too. It will let you create small gcode files in demo mode so you can test it and its very reasonably priced.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sray69, fatday6987

More
30 Sep 2023 12:33 #281931 by tommylight
- Inkscape with included GcodeTools 2D only, can do depths, just do not ask me how, i use it for plasma. It also does some kind of nesting with grouped paths, and has the option to not do what yours is doing with moving randomly from cut to cut.
- PyCAM 2.5D, has roughing and fine etc, have not used it for quite a while as it was painfully slow to generate code, probably fixed by now.
-FreeCAD with Path workbench, never used it (i do use FreeCad a lot), seems to be quite usable
-BlenderCAM never used it, after a quick glance it looked like it can do a lot.
--
For simple stuff also visit www.scorchworks.com the have some free apps that do simple stuff and do it good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sray69, fatday6987

More
30 Sep 2023 16:55 #281946 by Sray69
I need to look at SheetCam more closely. It does more than I remember. Would just need to figure out the CAD part.

I use Inkscape for all my 2D designs for both my CNC and my Laser. I have read about the Gcode plugin but have not tried it. Will look into that and the nesting feature as well.

From what I have read PyCAM is Linux only now. I do have a Linux computer besides my LCNC box but it is not setup to use in my workflow. I use Windows PCs for my designing and exporting of G-code.

I have FreeCAD running on one of my design computers. I have messed around with it a little but it reminds me of Fusion in the sense that it has a big learning curve. I have been planning to learn it but I just do not have the time to get into something this big. I need quick and easy at the moment.

Blender is probably has an even bigger learning curve. Amazing software but not sure it is right for my application.

I came across a CAD/CAM software called Alibra. Has anyone used this software for their CNC? It looks like it might be a nice package. It is on the pricey side but might be worth considering if it can do all that I need.

Thanks for the input guys!

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds