Importing CAD/CAM files

More
13 Apr 2011 16:59 #8842 by dedetc
I have experiences working with CNC Routers and CNC Plasma; doing 2D designs and then generating tool-paths. But I have no experience on programming. I have tried to install several CAD/CAM software in Ubuntu but I always hit a brick wall when I need to do some programming in the install procedure. For example, Paycam: it requires me to install several Python packages, so I did; Then it requires me to enable the UNIVERSE REPOSITORY; to temporally add the KARMIC REPOSITORY????? It says something about doing this in ROOT???? I am totally lost here. Another example is Gcodetools: it says to "Unpack and copy all the files to the following directory /usr/share/inkscape/extensions/ and restart inkscape". Totally lost again! Some other software say something about “running on Wine for EMC users” ?????

Any ways….what I´m thinking of doing is to install a CAD/CAM software in another computer using Windows. It seems a lot easier for someone with no programming knowledge to do installs in Windows. So I will use CAD for 2D designs and CAM for generation toolpath in Windows and then import my file to use EMC2. Can I do this? What file formats can be imported with EMC2?

Thank you very much.
Carlos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2011 17:30 - 13 Apr 2011 17:31 #8844 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Importing CAD/CAM files
To start with the "Enable Universe" bit open System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager. You will have to give it your password. Now go to Settings/Repositories and check Community Maintained Software (Universe).

While you have the package manager open you can search for and add all the python requirements for PyCam. Also if you search for QCad you can install it as well from the package manager.

Unfortunately the flexibility of Linux does have a bit of a learning curve. Also Linux does not inhibit you from doing neat things or really fouling things up...

Some really good base info on Linux is in the Getting Started Guide.

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

John
Last edit: 13 Apr 2011 17:31 by BigJohnT.

More
13 Apr 2011 17:45 #8845 by step4linux
dedetc wrote:

So I will use CAD for 2D designs and CAM for generation toolpath in Windows and then import my file to use EMC2. Can I do this? What file formats can be imported with EMC2?

yes that's possible, I do it the same way.
EMC2 reads g-code. So you need a CAM tool which exports g-code.

Gerd

More
13 Apr 2011 18:52 #8856 by dedetc
Replied by dedetc on topic Re:Importing CAD/CAM files
Thank you. I was able to add all the python requirements for PyCAM and enable Universe. But what to do next? I cannot find instructions or procedures to what should be done next to complete the install. I only see this: but as you might imagine, I don’t have a clue what this means? What do I do with it? How do I complete my install?

sudo apt-get install python-gtk2 python-gtkglext1 python-pyode python-opengl

but as you might imagine, I don’t have a clue what this means? What do I do with it? How do I complete my install?
By the way, how do I check what Ubuntu version I’m using? Or what EMC version I’m using?

Thanks again.

More
13 Apr 2011 18:53 #8858 by dedetc
Thanks, any suggestions on a CAM tool that exports g-code for Windows?

More
13 Apr 2011 19:05 #8866 by BigJohnT
To execute a line of code like the apt-get one you open up a terminal and type it or copy (gotta use the right mouse for copy and paste in terminal) and paste it in then press enter. It will ask for your password and will NOT echo your keystrokes.

The Ubuntu version is in System/Help About and the EMC version is on the top line of the EMC window when you run EMC.

One more gotcha with pycam is you have to run it from a terminal, so you open up a terminal (Applications/Accessories/Terminal. I'll have to add it to my menu and figure out how to do that...

John

More
13 Apr 2011 19:06 #8867 by BigJohnT
Well, PyCam works in windows too... but I think the installer is broken atm...

John

More
13 Apr 2011 21:10 - 13 Apr 2011 21:12 #8881 by step4linux
here is a list of CAM programs, most are linux I guess, but some may have a win version:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Cam

Gerd
Last edit: 13 Apr 2011 21:12 by step4linux.

More
13 Apr 2011 21:20 #8882 by dedetc
I know this will sound stupid to you but, where and how do I open a “terminal” to paste the line of code. And what do I do next to finish installing? Thank you.

More
13 Apr 2011 21:26 #8883 by BigJohnT
BigJohnT wrote:

so you open up a terminal (Applications/Accessories/Terminal.

apt-get install does just that. It gets and installs all in one.

John

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds