Source Code Access

More
28 Jan 2014 03:43 - 28 Jan 2014 03:45 #43245 by KirkFraser
I think someone should recognize it is time to revise the LinuxCNC.org website to update its obsolete documentation. I'm new here yet find many poor examples:

1) linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/community the link to "board mailing list" is full of Java jibberish which does not produce a valid email address in either Windows or Linux on my computers thus probably not any other newbie's. Also realize these days lots of people use web based email so "mailto:" doesn't work.
2) linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/about/12?task=view shows the board of directors elected in 2009. I seriously doubt that is up to date.
3) linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/download has multiple problems.
a) Burn ISO to CD? I am writing this on a netbook. Update your procedure for people who have moved beyond CD drives.
b) "Other methods of installation" subhead includes no link. Totally insufficient documentation without a way to locate these other methods inside the wiki.
c) Most important "Source Code" subhead prevents access to source code.
i) git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb lists 4 projects but no way to download.
ii) git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a=summary lists many things but no way to download.
iii) "instructions" wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?git is obsolete.
iv) Notice a better user of "git" here github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk which provides a button on the right of the page to download a .zip file. Now would that be too hard to do?

My interest at present is to read the source code to see if I can find some code I need to properly control a closed loop hydraulic system with S-curve positioning to maximize travel speed while minimizing backlash. I suspect some piece of code in your project does that. How can I look at it? Thank you.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2014 03:45 by KirkFraser.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2014 04:44 #43249 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Source Code Access

I think someone should recognize it is time to revise the LinuxCNC.org website to update its obsolete documentation. I'm new here yet find many poor examples:
1) linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/community the link to "board mailing list" is full of Java jibberish which does not produce a valid email address in either Windows or Linux on my computers thus probably not any other newbie's. Also realize these days lots of people use web based email so "mailto:" doesn't work.

I think that the "board of directors" decided to abolish the board of directors. I agree that the web site should be changed to reflect that.

ii) git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a=summary lists many things but no way to download.

I think that the reason for this is that downloading a "snapshot" of the source code is a lot less useful than cloning the git repository. (which is what that page tells you to do).
Once you have cloned the repository then you have all the source code in the correct structure, and it will stay up-to-date. You can also easily change it and compile it.

iv) Notice a better user of "git" here github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk which provides a button on the right of the page to download a .zip file. Now would that be too hard to do?.

No, it's quite an easy thing to do :-)
github.com/jepler/linuxcnc-mirror
The following user(s) said Thank You: KirkFraser

More
28 Jan 2014 06:45 #43254 by cradek
Replied by cradek on topic Source Code Access

I agree this is the most important of the problems you encountered. The git.linuxcnc.org site is totally standard gitweb, the web interface tool that comes with the git source control system.

Andy is correct that using git to get a clone of the source is the best way to interact with it, and the git clone URL you use to do that is at the top of each of the four project pages.

But, I also want to point out that if you want a tarball/snapshot copy of any current or historical version of the source, you can get that from the "snapshot" link you see after each commit's description in the summary page, which is your second link.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KirkFraser

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds