Master Thesis on EMC2 Robot in Wood Industry

More
13 Mar 2015 03:54 #56771 by fdumancic
Hello everyone :)

I am writing my final thesis about an EMC 2 controlled robot to be used in wood industry generally. Since I'm really new to the LinuxCNC scene I need some help deciding what kind of a robot should I use.

From what I've learned, the most realistic solution would be to use a simple Cartesian robot in a pick and place configuration. The whole thesis is more focused on the programming part so there will be no real construction involved.

My plan is to design such a robot in Solidworks first with specified end zones and working space, after which I need to work on the programming part.

Any advice or directions are highly appreciated, as I want to learn as much as I can from this since I do have a huge interest for LinuxCNC generally.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2015 22:29 #56789 by andypugh

From what I've learned, the most realistic solution would be to use a simple Cartesian robot in a pick and place configuration. The whole thesis is more focused on the programming part so there will be no real construction involved.

If the focus of the thesis is the programming then it is possible that there might not be enough "value" in the project to earn your degree. There is almost no "programming" needed to build a conventional cartesian robot.

What academic discipline are you trying to earn a Masters in?

More
14 Mar 2015 02:00 #56797 by fdumancic
Master of mechanical engineering, production and manufacturing discipline! The topic was already determined by my mentor, he instructed me that I should cover the software part in highest detail as possible, I'm currently building the model based on one industrial robot so I can use its dimensions and workspace as a base for LinuxCNC.

The whole assignment is pretty much on its way as such so I don't know, I guess it's a difference in quality of studying programs. I've seen far less intricate papers and this topic of mine actually sounded overly complicated to some of the other students...

I chose it because I'm interested in the topic and would like to pursue a career in robotics in manufacturing so I guess it's better than nothing :)

More
21 Dec 2020 20:05 - 26 Dec 2020 12:23 #192692 by Lymaner
It is a good topic. Good luck to you. I personally admit that I did not do my master's thesis on my own and from the beginning I knew that I would call on a company to help me because it is something difficult for me and I was sure that I would not be able to do it, but I wanted to have the highest grade. I found a LINK REMOVED high quality online essay writer and I knew that many friends turn to them so I trusted to call them too, and they saved me a lot.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2020 12:23 by tommylight. Reason: Link removed

More
26 Dec 2020 09:32 #193214 by GuiHue
Best of luck with your thesis. Requirements towards topics vary drastically among disciplines, universities and countries.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish with a robot in the wood industry. Most of the time milling in both 2D and 3D comes to mind. Assuming that this is the intended areas of application, I would like to add a few cents worth of regarding the choice of robot:

2D Milling: A cartesian robot (as far as my understanding of the term goes) is, effectively, limited to 2D work. Furthermore, it is essentially a 3 axis mill. Hence, no programming in linuxcnc required (configuration does not count towards programming). Overall, such a topic would fail in any discipline at my home university.

3D Milling: This is where my understanding of a robot (think 6 DoF articulated arm with serial kinematics) comes into play. Not sure what linuxcnc offers in this regard, but the main challenge lies on the CAM side of things. Careful CAM is required to deal with joint limitations and singularities. Powerful CAM Packages are available on the market. To be frank, competing with these probably isn't economic. Although, if someone, were to design something easy to use at a budget price, a lot of people, would be interested. Given the complexity of the task involved this isn't likely. Using such an articulated arm for 2D milling is, of course, possible. However, for most applications, this isn't the smartest choice.

What I'm getting at: If you provide more information, people have an easier time helping you. At this point, I'm not sure what you assignment really entails.

A personal note: Hiring someone to do proofreading/ editor work is fine. After all, in my experience engineers generally are not the most prolific writers. Hiring someone to write a thesis for you, would be considered major plagiarism at our university; local regulations may differ.

More
26 Dec 2020 10:26 #193215 by Aciera
This thread is 5 years old and the topic author has not been heard of since.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds