Japanese Documents

More
06 Mar 2022 06:08 #236485 by Masa
Japanese Documents was created by Masa
Hello everyone
I'm Japanese and I can finally understand English with the help of Google Translate.
I am the owner of a company and have adopted Linux CNC for the desktop NC milling machine of my product. Apart from the hiring process, I translated the document into Japanese to understand LinuxCNC. I'm using Google Translate, not my own translation.
The translated document is as follows.

LinuxCNC_Documentation.docx (V2.8.1-84-g81a16a1fd, 2021-03-29)
AT_PID (9) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
ENCODER (9) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
SPINDLE (9) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
MILLTASK (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
MOTION (9) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
HALUI (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
AXIS (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
IOCONTROL (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
PID (9) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
GSCREEN (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
gs2_vfd (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
GREMLIN_VIEW (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
GMOCCAPY (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
GLADEVCP_DEMO (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
DEBUGLEVEL (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
axis-remote (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
5Axisgui (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
LinuxCNC (1) _LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx
LinuxCNC_Manual_Pages.docx

I would like these to be useful for future Japanese users, but please tell me how to submit them.
I would like to put everything together in a library and include Japanese cautionary statements regarding handling.

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2022 12:42 - 08 Mar 2022 12:43 #236666 by HansU
Replied by HansU on topic Japanese Documents
Hi,

thanks for your offer.

Unfortunately the docx-format is not very suitable to be integrated in the LinuxCNC documentation.

For the manual pages you have translated, I am not really sure how far this is supported in Groff. However it should be formatted in Groff, like this:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...an%2Fman9%2Fat_pid.9.
If you are willing to do so, I can try to find out more.

LinuxCNC_Documentation.docx - Which parts of the documentation did you translate? I assume you did not translate the whole PDF document?
For this, your document should be splitted into several files representing the sections according to the HTML documentation on the website. And then formatted using AsciiDoc (asciidoc-py.github.io/index.html). It is a markup language which is not hard to work with. For formatting you can use the existing english docs as a skeleton. You can search the repository for .adoc-files: github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/find/master

I would appreciate it if you could bring your translated files into the correct format!

I can help you to build and test these files.

Hans

Last edit: 08 Mar 2022 12:43 by HansU.

More
10 Mar 2022 00:59 #236804 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Japanese Documents

I would like these to be useful for future Japanese users, but please tell me how to submit them.

We (well, others, I am not involved) are working on making the docs translatable by welblate:
hosted.weblate.org/projects/linuxcnc/#languages (Japanese is at 2%)
But currently that only covers the program message strings, rather than the documentation.

So, there is work going on to make integrating translated docs easier. But it isn't complete and I don't know how it works.

More
10 Mar 2022 05:09 #236813 by Masa
Replied by Masa on topic Japanese Documents
Thank you Hans.

The LinuxCNC_Documentation.pdf I dealt with has about 1000 pages, and I translated the necessary parts in fragments. Currently, we have translated almost all necessary pages. The part of the glossary is not translated. The translated material will be a Zip file and will be about 23MB in size.

Re-editing with Groff would be nearly impossible for me right now. The docx format was convenient for work and printing. Most of my work is done in a Windows environment. Unfortunately I'm not working on documentation on Linux.

I read LinuxCNC_Documentation on the Web by Google Translate, but it was difficult to actually use because the part used as English words is translated.

The translated deliverables aren't perfect, and I wanted to keep them in docx format and publish them to Japanese people, considering re-editing in the future.
In the future, I would like to think about how to make it useful for Japanese people.

thank you for the advice.

More
10 Mar 2022 05:10 #236814 by Masa
Thank you, andypugh.
I would like to think about some way to handle the files I created.

thank you for the advice.

More
10 Mar 2022 11:18 #236832 by HansU
But AsciiDoc runs also under Windows . But I understand if you don't want to spent work in formatting even it is a bit unfortunate.

Well, we could save them as PDF and just put it on the web site. What do you think Andy?
Maybe also create an index.html in linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/pdf/

More
11 Mar 2022 00:02 #236907 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Japanese Documents
The Chinese docs on the 2.8 LiveCD were hand-built because the system could not (at that time) handle Chinese.
So it's an option.

More
11 Mar 2022 11:47 #236929 by HansU
Masa, can you upload the documents somewhere on GoogleDrive, Dropbox or similar? Or if you have a Github account you can also create an issue on github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues and upload the documents there.
It would be nice if you provide them also in the PDF format to ensure that they are exported correctly.

More
11 Mar 2022 13:26 #236933 by Masa
Thank you, hansu.

I'm sorry I couldn't reply to the response of the other person before.

I'm not thinking about uploading to Google Drive or Dropbox because it involves my account. After uploading a Japanese document, I hope it leaves my hands and is updated by those who need it. At that time, I want to prevent my account from being involved.

The translated document is machine translated and is not perfect. If aspiring people fix it, I would like to upload it in docx format so that it can be reflected. In pdf format, it's fine if it's completed, but if it's incomplete, it's just very inconvenient. I learned that in translating a large pdf like LinuxCNC_Documentation. If I had the original text instead of the pdf, I think I could have completed the translation work more smoothly.

Thank you for your advice. My hope is to publish it in docx format on linuxcnc.org. If you can't hope for that, think of something else that Japanese people are familiar with. Github.com is a site that most Japanese aren't familiar with, and I find it awkward for Japanese. (It means that Github is not displayed in Japanese)

Thank you for all the advice.

More
12 Mar 2022 21:48 #237024 by HansU
I was meaning GitHub only as a platform for transferring the files.

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds