Suggestion regarding the documentation

More
24 Mar 2022 15:00 #238230 by Nebur
I said I wouldn't post here anymore but here I am again.
Sorry if the initial post wasn't specific enough. The initial echo wasn't asking for details so I assumed the it was clear what I was referring to.
I also didn't check if the html docs also used those funny characters or if it was only the pdfs, so I assumed they did.

The pdf's have some advantages: Full text search maybe is arguably the most important one, e.g. when researching a topic. The ability to add own notes on text passages and highlighting stuff right in the document is nice to have too.
Also it's what's right there on the real machine in the shop that might not be connected to the internet.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding using the html docs/source/github, but I'm really not looking for help for me personally.
It was just an idea for a seemingly simple improvement...

Thanks for looking into it anyway!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2022 22:24 #238287 by andypugh

Hours to decipher my hints? I described the issue right in the first post - dashes and single quotes.

Actually, I am forced to admit that you are right on the dashes. It's a complete pain but it's often the web browsers that do it. They publish a minus in the source as an en-dash on the page. 

We have tried to fix it, but the fixes seem to make it worse. 
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/commit/4a89...8e98ea56a7417c9c88ad

The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
26 Mar 2022 13:21 #238397 by Nebur
Don't want to stir the pot by opening another thread on docs but it seems worth mentioning:
I just noticed that linuxcnc_documentation.pdf and the online html version seem to be out of sync.
At least the whole section on QtVcp (linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/gui/qtvcp.html) seems to be missing in the pdf.

Currently I often switch between 'traditional book reading' the pdfs on an ebook reader when not sitting in front of the pc and htmls when actively doing stuff. So if I stumble upon other missing stuff I can let you know...
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
26 Mar 2022 14:08 #238400 by robertspark
having just started to look at the pdfs (online) instead of the html docs on line, they do look different or have older content in them

More
29 Mar 2022 20:54 #238653 by andypugh
Not directly related, but there is a huge re-organisation of the docs underway to make translation into different languages easier. At the end of that all the docs should be automatically synching to the english version (though it would be nice to find a way that corrections / additions submitted in any language could be merged in)

More
29 Mar 2022 22:22 #238669 by BigJohnT
There are two places in the docs to include a chapter, perhaps the QtVcp author forgot to put it in the Submakefile.

JT

More
20 Apr 2022 00:47 #240712 by mcer
I don't know what's being used now but has switching to something like readthedocs.io been considered? It has some features to handle localization. I'm sure it'd be no small undertaking to change.

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds