LinuxCNC Users Manual for Beginners

More
12 Oct 2022 18:42 #254026 by OskarXYZ
My installed system is Linux Debian 10 Buster with LinuxCNC version 2.8.2Have been using Mach3 for the last 15 years or so and would like to learn LinuxCNC. I have downloaded these 2 manuals:LinuxCNC User Manual, 208 pagesLinuxCNC V2.8.4-1-gb7824717b, 956 PagesAre the above two documents the only ones available for beginners or perhaps there are other ones I should start with?Noticed one thread here mentions a Guide for MX Linux 19.4, would this Guide be useful for my Debian 10 Buster?Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2022 19:12 #254031 by tommylight
No, the MX is for installing it, not for usage.
Start with the users manual, or even better, cobble together a mchine and make it work, experience is the best teacher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OskarXYZ

More
12 Oct 2022 20:13 #254036 by OskarXYZ
Thanks for your time, I will print the Users manual and get going.

I do have a 3 axis 4 motors table router CNC running on Mach3 and this will be my experimental cnc to start learning. Obviously first I will have to learn the basic config of LinuxCNC and then remove Mach3 and install LinuxCNC

More
12 Oct 2022 21:18 #254039 by tommylight
linuxcnc.org/downloads/
Download the 2.8.4 ISO image there, burn it to a USB stick, boot the PC from it.
When it boots to the desktop, menu find the cnc stuff, choose StepConf and create a config for your machine, save, start the new config and use the machine.
All that can be done from the USB, without installing anything on the PC, but beware that when rebooting nothing will be saved.
You can save that config to another USB or internal hard drive for later use.

More
13 Oct 2022 04:36 #254056 by OskarXYZ
I have already install the LinuxCNC in my desktop along with Linux Mint and that’s where I do my learning now. When I feel more comfortable, I will buy a new (used) desktop dedicated for my workshop where my cnc is located and then the REAL learning will start. As far as I know I see no need to have the ISO on a USB since there is only one LinuxCNC to learn, I mean there is no alternative.

My 3 axis 4 motors cnc runs now on Mach3. When I remove Mach3 and install LinuxCNC would all electronics I now have be suitable or LinuxCNC requires special electronics (like stepper motors, motor drivers, breakout board and spindle control?)

I found a link here dated April 2015 and it talks about parts I’m not aware.

If I need new electronics for the LinuxCNC where should I look for them in USA/Canada?

More
13 Oct 2022 10:26 - 13 Oct 2022 10:31 #254060 by HansU
I prefer the documentation in the HTML format: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/
And the docs of the current development version 2.9 have been improved a lot the last time, so for general understanding I would recommend that: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/
It hasn't changed that many, mostly new functionality and hardware support was added.

When I remove Mach3 and install LinuxCNC would all electronics I now have be suitable or LinuxCNC requires special electronics (like stepper motors, motor drivers, breakout board and spindle control?)

If you continue using the parallel port, you can use exactly the same hardware.
If you are going to use a FPGA IO card later, you might have to adapt its bitfile, but that's a more advanced topic.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2022 10:31 by HansU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, OskarXYZ

More
13 Oct 2022 11:05 #254062 by OskarXYZ
Thanks so much HansU, I also prefer HTML format,

My current cnc has 4 Stepper motors, 4 motors drivers, a C11G BOB (breakout board) and a ESS (Ethernet Smooth Stepper). I was referring to these electronics since I read somewhere that LinuxCNC uses different electronics.

This is my first time I use ESS and I have been not happy with it so when I switch to LinuxCNC I will not use the ESS, I will just plug a parallel cable from my BOB to the PC.

More
13 Oct 2022 18:50 #254083 by HansU
If you want to use Ethernet, this board might be interesting for you: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...oduct&product_id=374
It is quite common/popular here in the community and recently supported in 2.8.4.

But if you want to stick to your BOB, you can replace your parallel port at some point by this card e.g.: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...ct_id=58&search=6i25
The following user(s) said Thank You: OskarXYZ

More
13 Oct 2022 21:12 #254087 by OskarXYZ
Many thanks again HansU, very happy to know about Mesa and their products.
The Ethernet and Parallel port boards looks very interesting

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds