My installation is missing "help.txt"

More
10 Mar 2011 16:08 #7690 by jlastofka
My installation of EMC2 is working fine except when I turn on (check mark) the HELP feature at the top right of the viewing window I get this in the message window:

"Can't open /usr/share/doc/emc2/doc/help.txt"

And the help window is blank when I click into it.

I've been searching this forum and website and others for the help.txt file. I can't find it on my install DVD (CD?) and I'm wondering if someone could email it to me or post it here. I guess no one else is having this problem or I would have found some posts about it.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2011 17:57 - 10 Mar 2011 18:01 #7697 by BigJohnT
Are you using TkEMC user interface by any chance? That has not been updated for a long time...

I created a sample config just now and the check box for balloon help did not fail if that is the one your talking about... however I don't see that it did anything.

Or am I completely off base and confused by your question?

or you can read about it here

and as far as I know there is no file called help.txt...

John
Last edit: 10 Mar 2011 18:01 by BigJohnT.

More
10 Mar 2011 19:15 #7702 by jlastofka
Thanks for the feed back. I bought Sherline's stepper control box to use with my old Sherline mill conversion I bought a decade ago and haven't used in years. The old software and driver box was hopelessly out of date.

My Ubuntu and EMC2 were installed from the DVD that came from Sherline with the driver box. In the install routine I was asked for a user ID and password, but the installer seems to have ignored that and set me up as user "sherline" anyway. Perhaps their installation doesn't include the help file. Seems likely from what you've said. This wouldn't be balloon help - it would be another text display you can get to by right clicking in the main display window, cycling through backplot, edit, help, tool tables, etc., depending on which items you've checked in the row of boxes across the top of the window. I'll call them and ask, or drive over there. They're only a few miles from my home and work locations.

They say in their documentation that they've modified the interface somewhat and left out some things that don't apply to the Sherline mill, so it's possible they judged the help file as un-helpful and left it out.

I also notice I don't have rights to the folder where that help file would have resided anyway. If I right-click in there, the option to create new files and folders is grayed out. I'm new to Linux and I'll need to look into how to set up rights on my machine. Maybe they've short circuited me from that and I'll need to do my own install later and set things up the way I want, or maybe I can get in and reconfigure this installation with a little help from them or someone.

-Jeff

More
10 Mar 2011 19:43 #7704 by BigJohnT
I don't know of any reason to not download the current version of EMC2 and burn the LiveCD and install it and then use a Sherline config from the config picker. This way you will have the latest software and a much better user interface than TkEMC.

I assume the Sherline "box" has some stepper drivers in it... Can you take a picture of it?

John

More
11 Mar 2011 01:52 #7710 by jlastofka
Attached is a screen shot of my software with the About dialog displayed so you can see the name, TkMini. To me it looks like a really nice interface for running the Sherline mill. It seems to work nicely, and I expect I don't need the help file that appears to be missing. The other documentation that came included is very nice.

I downloaded the latest Live CD from this website to see the differences, if any, but I can't get it to boot my computer. Maybe there's another step. I'll look into that. The Sherline CD booted and installed fine.

My next item for research is figuring out how to log in as root so I can do all the things I might want to do some time later.

I'll also attach a screen shot of the Sherline driver box so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for your help so far and any other tips you feel like tossing my way.

-Jeff

More
11 Mar 2011 01:55 #7712 by jlastofka
Oops. I didn't see the image width limit before I posted. I'll attach the image here, and I see I need to send a second post for the second image...

-Jeff
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2011 01:58 #7713 by jlastofka
And here's the image of the Sherline driver box.
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2011 12:51 #7727 by BigJohnT
Yea, that looks like a remake of TkEMC user interface.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gui_tkemc.html

A much better one is Axis IMHO.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gui_axis.html

Anyway as long as the pinouts are correct you should be able to use the newer EMC if you like.

John

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds