axes and pin configuration for gas cutter

More
08 Aug 2011 12:19 #12300 by idsoft
Hi everyone. I upgrading a gas cutter machine and decide to use emc2 for control them, but I have some questions about axes system. What axis system should I use if I have 2 cutter heads? Considering that the heads use own positioning system which receives one signal for get in position and transmit one signal when position was get. What HAL pins I can use for reach my goal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2011 15:12 #12302 by andypugh
Do the heads move independently?

You might be able to use X,Y,Z for one head and U,V,W for the other. or it might be easier to switch between the two heads as a toolchange, and direct the motion commands to a different actuator in HAL. (This will probably mandate a move to a known position on toolchange, but that is easily programmed).

There are a few ways to do this, but we need a bit more detail on the machine layout.

More
09 Aug 2011 05:44 #12321 by idsoft
andypugh wrote:

Do the heads move independently?

Only in manual mode. Second head must move same as first head, but might be move in inactive position and turned off. Second head will be used for speedup cutting and cutting stripes.

You might be able to use X,Y,Z for one head and U,V,W for the other. or it might be easier to switch between the two heads as a toolchange, and direct the motion commands to a different actuator in HAL. (This will probably mandate a move to a known position on toolchange, but that is easily programmed).

There are a few ways to do this, but we need a bit more detail on the machine layout.

I have carriage which move on a rails(I think this is X axis). There is two heads on the carriage(I think this is Y axis), which move as I wrote above. Each head have two drive for vertical movement(I think this is Z axis) and two drive for horizontal movement(by Y axis).

More
09 Aug 2011 10:44 #12329 by andypugh
idsoft wrote:

Second head must move same as first head, but might be move in inactive position and turned off. Second head will be used for speedup cutting and cutting stripes.

Does the second head have a separate actuator?

It sounds like the main head will be used by itself, but the second head will only ever be used at the same time as the main one.

You called it a "gas cutter" Is this Oxy-fuel or plasma-arc?

have carriage which move on a rails(I think this is X axis). There is two heads on the carriage(I think this is Y axis), which move as I wrote above. Each head have two drive for vertical movement(I think this is Z axis) and two drive for horizontal movement(by Y axis).

This is quite a complicated machine.

You might need to think about how you want to control it (What should the G-code look like?)

I can think of a few operating modes.

1) Head2 parked, Head1 follows conventional X,Y.Z G-code. Possibly with auto tool-height control.
2) Head2 active, both heads follow X,Y,Z G-code but with Head2 running a fixed (but programmable) offset from Head1. Useful for cutting strips, or cutting two identical shapes next to each other.
3) Head2 active, but with Head1 following X,Y,Z G-code, and head2 following X,V,Z in the G-code. (or maybe X,V,W)

There is also a "hidden" mode 4, where every actuator moves independently during homing.

1) and 3) can be the same configuration, with G-code which simply doesn't contain any "V" words.
2) could be done in a few ways, either in the HAL layer, or in the Kinematics module. Alternatively you could just use G-code a bit like:
#<offset> = 12
G0 X20 Y20 V[20+#<offset>] Z0.25

I think you would need to use G-code subroutines to switch modes, which in turn would call user-defined M-codes to re-wire the HAL layer. (you can change which axis-position commands drive which motors using shell scripts, but you might need to use G-code to move the active axes to consistent positions)

More
09 Aug 2011 11:08 #12331 by Rick G
Following what Andy said are the two heads independent in X Y movement from each other or a fixed distance apart from each other on the carriage?
Is the active, non active position just a vertical movement of the head to the parked position?
Is the up down movement variable or fixed like a solenoid just up and down?

Rick G

More
10 Aug 2011 12:54 #12380 by idsoft
andypugh wrote:

Does the second head have a separate actuator?

Yes, both heads have separate actuators.

It sounds like the main head will be used by itself, but the second head will only ever be used at the same time as the main one.

Yes, it is.

You called it a "gas cutter" Is this Oxy-fuel or plasma-arc?

We are use propane+butane+oxygen. It is called?

You might need to think about how you want to control it (What should the G-code look like?)

I don't know yet... But we have similar machine produced by SATO. There have one motor for Y which drive's belt, and electric locks for 12 heads.
G-code looks very simple. It contains just X and Y coordinates. I hope that the my new machine would be controlled same it.

More
10 Aug 2011 14:43 #12382 by andypugh
idsoft wrote:

We are use propane+butane+oxygen. It is called?

I would call that oxy-fuel, but I might not be technically correct. Perhaps it would be a "flame cutter"?

I don't know yet... But we have similar machine produced by SATO. There have one motor for Y which drive's belt, and electric locks for 12 heads.
G-code looks very simple. It contains just X and Y coordinates. I hope that the my new machine would be controlled same it.

12 heads and one axis looks a lot like a toolchanger, and is fairly simple to control that way.

It seems a shame to me to not allow independent control of both the heads on your new machine.

I think the thing to do is to get the machine running with only the main head, and then to add-in the second head by manual HAL editing.

I am confident that we can find a way to do it.

More
11 Aug 2011 10:50 #12402 by idsoft
andypugh wrote:

I can think of a few operating modes.

1) Head2 parked, Head1 follows conventional X,Y.Z G-code. Possibly with auto tool-height control.
2) Head2 active, both heads follow X,Y,Z G-code but with Head2 running a fixed (but programmable) offset from Head1. Useful for cutting strips, or cutting two identical shapes next to each other.
3) Head2 active, but with Head1 following X,Y,Z G-code, and head2 following X,V,Z in the G-code. (or maybe X,V,W)

There is also a "hidden" mode 4, where every actuator moves independently during homing.

1) and 3) can be the same configuration, with G-code which simply doesn't contain any "V" words.
2) could be done in a few ways, either in the HAL layer, or in the Kinematics module. Alternatively you could just use G-code a bit like:

#<offset> = 12
G0 X20 Y20 V[20+#<offset>] Z0.25

Where I can read about coordinate systems and kinematic, it's desirable with pictures(that explain the naming of the axes and their position)? Or, maybe, how I can use other axes different from XYZ?

I think you would need to use G-code subroutines to switch modes, which in turn would call user-defined M-codes to re-wire the HAL layer. (you can change which axis-position commands drive which motors using shell scripts, but you might need to use G-code to move the active axes to consistent positions)

Probably, this is the perfect solve for me. But, can I re-wire the HAL layer by GUI buttons instead M-codes?

More
11 Aug 2011 11:11 #12403 by idsoft
Rick G wrote:

Following what Andy said are the two heads independent in X Y movement from each other or a fixed distance apart from each other on the carriage?
Is the active, non active position just a vertical movement of the head to the parked position?
Is the up down movement variable or fixed like a solenoid just up and down?

Rick G

Heads independent in Y movement only. Distance from each other not fixed and might be changed.
Parked position need for second head and should be in upper Z and max Y position(it provide free movement for first head).
UP-down movement will be provided by other device which watching for distance on a material. It's should be controlled like solenoid(just up and down).

More
11 Aug 2011 11:44 #12406 by idsoft
andypugh wrote:

12 heads and one axis looks a lot like a toolchanger, and is fairly simple to control that way.

Toolchanger use special G-codes, is'nt it?

It seems a shame to me to not allow independent control of both the heads on your new machine.

Actually I need 2 modes for heads movement:
1. Only first head. Second head parked.
2. First and second heads move together by Y axis(and X, of co&#1075;rse). Distance between heads might be changed manually.

I am confident that we can find a way to do it.

I'm very grateful for your help.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds