Configurate Slave Axis

More
20 Sep 2012 16:34 #24483 by fedemecanica
that's right is not really a 4th axis....

but is connected in other pins than Yaxis

im gonna try what JT said

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2013 00:29 #42067 by Pysiek
Replied by Pysiek on topic Configurate Slave Axis
I have same problem here. Except I use two motors and two ballscrews to run my Y axis. This setup preventing bending. I use Mach3 trial version and would like to try Linuxcnc also. How do I slave the two motors together? I Mach3 it was very easy but in LinuxCNC I do not see an option. Both motors are connected to separate pins on my breakout board.

More
28 Dec 2013 02:01 #42069 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Configurate Slave Axis

How do I slave the two motors together?

To _literally_ slave the two motors together, allocate Y-step and Y-dir to both sets of pins.

The complications arise when you want to auto-square to the limit switches, and if it is absolutely necessary to _never_ rack the gantry at all.
It then becomes really complicated if you have encoders with index, and horrible if the indexes are not aligned.
If we ever work out the perfect way to home a gantry then I think we will see it implemented as an automatic behaviour.

More
28 Dec 2013 02:30 #42071 by Pysiek
Replied by Pysiek on topic Configurate Slave Axis
I will try that and let you know if it worked.

More
01 Jan 2014 13:57 #42256 by mwe
Replied by mwe on topic Configurate Slave Axis
I too am looking for a solution to drive this two steppers on a gantry axis configuration. I would have thought this would be common enough to have a solution implemented already (having been away from EMC for about 10 years). One configuration of the machine parts I have has two steppers and two home switches. So there is no built in code to home and check both switches for skew, missed step accumulation and fix it automatically? Slaving two drives together off common outputs is not going to cut it. Please tell me I am not going to have to write code before I can use EMC. :huh:

More
01 Jan 2014 19:29 #42260 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Configurate Slave Axis
Hi

I do not have 2 motors on one axis..... But i read that problem quite often. Here a hack I'd do it.

Use two configs.
In the first you have only the two axis (x/y) you want to home. U use this only in case you fear to be none square!
With normal g code run both slowly into home=end switch. G1 Fslow Xbig Ybig. Until one of the switches produce the expected error.
Then retract both axis parallel a bit out of switch. Than hit home button.
Home first x than y . Slowly in short distance so you do not bent too much.

After that you use the normal configuration with one home switch and parallel end switches..
See no reason to square again if you only want to find home position.

My 5 cents.
Mike

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds