My hybrid machine will not make my life easy :)

More
27 May 2014 03:36 #47368 by sigmounte
Hi , i'm currently making a laser cutting machine .

For the X and Y axis , i already have the mechanics who use servo ( optical encoder + 12 DC motor )

For now it look simple ....

But .. I got my hand on a system for controling the distance from the laser head to the material , professional , precise etc etc

Badly it use a stepper motor for moving the laser head .

Being a total newby with emc2 ( i can use the stepper conf wizard without any problem ) , i will have to create this hybrid conf manually , so here are my questions :

- PmcConf look to be able to make hybrid ( stepper / servo ) configuration , but i need a anything i/o card , they don't look really cheap , anyone have a good plan for an equivalent / clone ?

- Is there somes samples anywhere of hybrid conf ??

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2014 08:29 #47379 by andypugh
What are you using to control the servos?

More
27 May 2014 12:04 #47381 by sigmounte
certainly an Hbridge with pwm.capability . but not specific card in mind

More
27 May 2014 16:02 #47385 by andypugh

certainly an Hbridge with pwm.capability . but not specific card in mind

You might be able to use the parallel port, but that doesn't really do fast-enough PWM to drive an H-bridge directly, and there isn't any guarantee of "dead-time" between different channels, so shoot-through is likely if you try to use 6 of them to drive a three-phase bridge directly.
(perhaps there is a good argument for adding a /out channel to the pwmgen with a programmable dead-time)

The base Mesa cards are not horribly expensive, the 7i43 is one way to get a fast PWMgen and/or stepgen from the parallel port and costs $80 and the 5i25 is a PCI card for $90. Both (with the right firmware) can generate H-bridge drive signals directly.

If your drive only needs an analogue control voltage + direction then the p-port and a lowpass filter might be all you need, though.

More
27 May 2014 17:24 #47387 by sigmounte
The 5i25 look lot more abordable than the other card , indeed !

So with this card , i can normally have :
- all my limit switch ( 6 )
- 3 analog axis ( pwm output , dir , enable pins from the 5i25 )
- 1-2 step / dir axis
and i will still maybe have some input available for example to use an external control panel ?

From what i understand , the only things that make the pin dedicated to a task are the daughter board ?

So normaly if i create a daughter board myself , i can under linuxcnc ( and i really hope under pmcconf ) configure each pin to what i want ?

Thanks a lot for your answers !

More
27 May 2014 17:56 #47392 by andypugh

The 5i25 look lot more abordable than the other card , indeed !
So with this card , i can normally have :
- all my limit switch ( 6 )
- 3 analog axis ( pwm output , dir , enable pins from the 5i25 )
- 1-2 step / dir axis
and i will still maybe have some input available for example to use an external control panel ?

Possibly. The 5i25 has 17 pins on the external header and 17 on the internal one.

With the daughter-cards the stepgen and encoder pins connect straight through to the FPGA on the 5i25, but the general purpose IO is serially-addressed.
The 7i77 config uses serial for the analogue outputs too, rather than PWM. I think you would need to ask Mesa if there are any standard firmwares than provide PWM on header pins.

The 5i23 is more expensive, but does offer many more directly-connected pins. This firmware:
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=hostmot2-firmw...b36da8b888e5b7ac3850
Has encoders, PWMs and steppers all on the same firmware (unused stepgen pins can be used as GPIO)

More
27 May 2014 17:59 #47393 by andypugh
I just noticed the 5i24 is much cheaper than the 5i23, and I _think_ it can use the same firmwares, but you would need to check with Mesa.

More
27 May 2014 19:20 #47394 by sigmounte
Hi , i've found a L298 breakout board , so i'll have PWM/direction input for two motors . look good

More
27 May 2014 23:21 #47409 by PCW
There are some PWM+ encoder configs for the 5I25 but I think they all are made for the 7I85S
daughtercard.

Its not a big deal to make a new FPGA configuration with a specific pinout but this does have to be done at the FPGA source code level, that is its not something you can do in HAL.

If you have a pinout list I can make a new configuration for you

More
28 May 2014 01:16 #47415 by sigmounte
wow thanks thanks a lot !!

What kind of information do you need ?

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds