CNC LATHE BUILD HELP

More
10 Dec 2016 18:34 #83884 by starodavni
Hy

I am loking around on the internet for information what stuf do i need to build lathe for turning metal cuting threads tapers and so on.

I have stunboled on the inforamtion that linux cnc is the best program if qou wont to bild lathe. Mach 3 has problems.

So i woud ask people witch are more nolageble as i what kind of program, kontorler spindle motor, blet/gear, encoder if nesesery shoud i buy so that i can make threads on lathe.

I have read that quadro encoder can be cuported by linuxcnc and this is good enoug to control threading on lathes.

I woud be realy happy with sugestions and so on.

thank you wery mutch.

Starodavni

p.s.: i am cnc operator, programer, and i alredy have a fey cnc build maschines behind me, but no lathe as yet ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2016 12:49 #83900 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic CNC LATHE BUILD HELP
Are you intending to build a lathe from scratch, or do you have an existing lathe that you intend to convert to CNC?

More
11 Dec 2016 14:16 #83903 by starodavni
Replied by starodavni on topic CNC LATHE BUILD HELP
From scratch.

I have manual lathes smal and big. But this story of conversion is doable, but it is a lot of problems. Precision is first. I dontnow how to compensate for misaligenment of clasical trapesoid guides. Then material, service, reper,... long story.

I woud rather build new from scratch.

More
11 Dec 2016 14:23 #83905 by andypugh
Have you seen:

More
11 Dec 2016 15:20 #83911 by starodavni
I now this video. I love the guy.

Question is, how he wired motor and controller and made turning control. ( he pay some gud to custom made this for him)

Buying slaby is doable, maschining too no problem. How to run lathe spindle with rpm control to the controler this is my problem.

I need lathe witch will cut threads and produce parts not hoby lathe witch will be the corner to pick up dust.

I have mach representative whitch is teling me no problem. But i have read some forums witch said. Problem for mach no problem for linuxcnc program.

What kind of motor do i need to make turning rpm kontrol on lathe. When you are threading this is inportant. If i use belts servomotor is off i gues. So what. Dc motor and encoder ? Three phase dc motor. How do you conect encoder on.

I liek his lathe nice work.

More
11 Dec 2016 15:38 #83912 by andypugh
Any motor can be used for the lathe spindle. The think that makes threading possible is having an encoder on the spindle so that LinuxCNC knows the actual spindle position to know where to put the threading tool

This is typically a quadrature encoder, but could be a resolver or a serial encoder too. (my lathe has a resolver on the spindle).

Once you have a spindle encoder then LinuxCNC can do crazy things

More
11 Dec 2016 19:18 #83919 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic CNC LATHE BUILD HELP
Don't do a lathe from scratch. You will never reach a good quality machine, at least for metal.
At least start from a existing metal structure, typically cast iron.

More
12 Dec 2016 09:47 #83937 by starodavni
This is not answer i exspected.

I was planing to make polimer granite base.

So what it is better to save mony and buy old mascine cnc then.

More
12 Dec 2016 09:55 #83939 by starodavni
I try to find old emco or some smal cnc maschine and rewire it for but i cant find none. I went to look one mori seiki, for 5K euro, but the thing was so bad that it needed new rails nad it didnt run for a while so big uestion about electronic and drivers. Pair of guides can cost 2.5K euro.

Smal lathe for steel can be made but precision is pain in the as, but if i took 30 mm rails preloaded it shoud run good i supose.

More
12 Dec 2016 11:40 - 12 Dec 2016 11:41 #83941 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic CNC LATHE BUILD HELP
A friend of mine made his own CNC lathe a few years ago

He purchased a lathe spindle as a spare part for his manual lathe as the starting point. Its a bit unconventional but works pretty well.

Might give you some inspiration.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2016 11:41 by rodw.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds