Linuxcnc on Intel NUC unsupported kernel version?

More
25 Oct 2018 23:20 #119415 by 3D-Master
Hello,

i was trying to install Linuxcnc on my Intel NUC NUC7PJYH2 with Ubuntu installed, using this website (github.com/KurtJacobson/RF45-CNC/wiki/In...g-LinuxCNC-on-Ubuntu) but when i tried to install the kernel and modules (sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae rtai-modules-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae) i got:

E: amd64-microcode: unsupported kernel version!
E: intel-microcode: unsupported kernel version!

and when i tried to install the headers (sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae) i got:
die folgenden pakete haben unerfüllte abhängigkeiten:
linux-headers-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae:i386 : hängt ab von: gcc-4.6:i386 ist aber nicht installierbar
E: probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte pakete

just for info i tried installing Linuxcnc using a usb stick but it didnt show up as boot device, only ubuntu did work and i thought i could install linuxcnc on ubuntu

my ubuntu version is 18.04.1 LTS codename bionic
kernel version is 4.15.0-38-generic

can someone help me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2018 01:31 #119418 by InMyDarkestHour
The link you gave mentioned using Ubuntu 18.04........which is quite a few major versions different.
Why don't you install Linuxcnc from the official image ?

To transfer the downloaded image to a USB stick on windows use Win32DiskImager, the other utilities such as Rufus, are to smart for their own good for transferring Linuxcnc iso to a USB stick.

The Linuxcnc image has to transferred to the usb disk by a "raw byte by byte" method, which Win32DiskImager does, other utilities (from what I have seen) is the mount the image and copy the files to the USB disk, this method does not work.

If you are using Linux to transfer the image use dd.

These are the 2 methods that work and you will have no trouble with.

More
26 Oct 2018 03:38 #119421 by PCW
I would try the Debian Stretch image here:

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

This has a much newer kernel (4.9) than the Wheezy image with 3.4.9 RTAI kernel
if this does not work, you may have to install a recent Ubuntu or Debian dist and build a Preempt-RT kernel ( latest Preempt-RT kernel is currently 4.18.12 )

If this is just for simulation (not running hardware) you can run LinuxCNC with the stock (non-RT) kernel

More
26 Oct 2018 03:55 #119423 by cmorley
He was asking about RTAI kernel... Are you using software stepping? (parallel port)

Chris M

More
26 Oct 2018 03:59 #119424 by PCW
This is for a NUC = no parallel port

More
26 Oct 2018 04:28 #119426 by cmorley
Ahh - I have to look that up :)

Chris M

More
26 Oct 2018 08:05 #119433 by 3D-Master
i tried to install the official image but the usb stick doesnt even show up as a boot device, thats the problem. it only showed up when i had ubuntu on it

More
26 Oct 2018 08:43 #119434 by 3D-Master
Now with the stretch version i see:

UEFI : USB . SMI USB DISK 1100 : PART 0 : OS BOOTLOADER

but when i click on it i get:

GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta3-5

minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. foer the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>

and when i enter Boot it says:
error: you need to load the kernel first.

More
26 Oct 2018 08:50 #119435 by 3D-Master
i think i am onto something...

More
26 Oct 2018 19:25 #119480 by 3D-Master
i finally was able to install the stretch Linuxcnc version (linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-amd64-r12). so far i made a quick latency test and got around 40.000 and 50.000 (the smaller number is the upper and the higher number is the lower number). Is this good enough for an ethernet connection to mesa cards considering i wanna build a 5 axis machine with a spindle and tool magazine servo (all with encoders)? I have already disabled energy saving options and wifi/bluetooth. Is there anything more i can disable?

thanks

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds