Setting tools ***SOLVED***

More
12 Oct 2019 01:54 - 23 Oct 2019 19:51 #147726 by Scot
Hello all,

So the power was out in nearly the entire north state of CA, where I live for a few days so getting my build in a workable state was put off. That gave you folks a bit of a reprieve from my clamoring and questions. But alas. Here I am, again.

I did some reading, but I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to set tools offsets, so when called up, they have a place to go in the program after selection.

When setting tools, what I'm used to is calling up a tool number then setting it to the workpiece in the chuck. Many lathe controls are simple like that. You select T1, somehow, then move the slide to where it is according to the material in the collet, first in X, then in Z, usually. Then you touch the tool off, set that coordinate according to where it sits with that piece, then change the axis, move to where the tool sits according to that axis, input that coordinate, then enter it. Then on to tool 2, 3, etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. But I can't seem to find a place or a way to select the tool to set coordinates to. I see at the bottom of the Axis gui that there is a bar that says "No tool" and there isn't much on this that points to where I need to go to know what tool I have selected, or even how to select it.

I've tried to select a tool through the MDI. But nothing changes. I'm also interested in finding out what TLO means. Does that have something to do with tool offsets? If so, I'd like to find out how it can help what I'm missing.

Let me know what I'm missing, here. I'm sure it's going to be obvious when I learn it. But right now, I'm sort of at yet another loss.

Scot
Last edit: 23 Oct 2019 19:51 by Scot. Reason: Problem solved. Tool touch off button was the issue. Code was placed in the proper file and full functionality gained.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2019 02:23 - 22 Oct 2019 02:30 #148513 by Leon82
Replied by Leon82 on topic Setting tools
Tlo
Tool length offset.
.you would mdi,.
t2m6.

If you have configured a manual tool change a window will appear asking you to confirm.

Then you could touch off your tool. Assuming you are using 0 for g54 work offset you bring the tool down and set your offset in the tool. You can do this thru mdi with a g10 line, mdi button, or manual edit the tool table.

You can use gauge lenth offsets too, but those are more handy when you use a probe to set workpiece height. Many ways to skin the cat.

I for a time skipped the tool offset and simply set g54 for each tool. If you get a few holders and setup your core tools, gauge length offsets will allow you to use it on multiple setups without altering the tool offset. For example a 1/4 inch endmill in a collet holder.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2019 02:30 by Leon82.

More
23 Oct 2019 19:48 #148623 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Setting tools
Thanks Leon,

But the problem was a bit more than just code through LinuxCNC. It was some missing code from config files. We ironed it out though. Thanks for the help.

Scot

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds