LinuxCNC in a job shop environment?

More
27 Dec 2019 22:40 - 27 Dec 2019 22:51 #153326 by justinnoor
Hello community,

First time post here--it's great to find this project. I am curious as to how LinuxCNC is being used in job shop environments, or if it is at all. If you are using LinuxCNC in a job shop environment, would you be kind enough to share some general details about your workflow? How many machines do you run? What kind of machines are they? How does LinuxCNC coexist with so many on-board CNC controllers (Fanuc, Haas, Mazak, etc.)? Do you plug a laptop into every machine? Do you flash Linux into the controller (scary). Any feedback (even remotely related) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Last edit: 27 Dec 2019 22:51 by justinnoor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2019 22:52 #153329 by tommylight
www.youtube.com/channel/UCS0X88R7n7P2jIFwhIkw2Qw
Have a look through, plenty of self made and retrofits of industrial machines, and some are not there, still getting used to taking pictures and videos as i forget while i am working.

More
28 Dec 2019 02:04 - 28 Dec 2019 02:12 #153350 by justinnoor
Thank you--interesting stuff. I'm really curious to know if anyone is using LinuxCNC to power something like a cell of horizontal milling machines with an automated pallet changer--in a systematic way, without plugging laptops into the consoles. Also, with LinuxCNC, how do you manage things like cutter compensation, tool length offsets, custom macros, probing routines, etc.? Or is LinuxCNC more suitable for routing machines and tinkering?
Last edit: 28 Dec 2019 02:12 by justinnoor.

More
28 Dec 2019 02:40 #153351 by tommylight
It is a fully fledged machine controller with everything needed for all sorts of machines, and even if you find something missing, it is quite easy to add features to it. It does have a lot of compensation stuff ( i do not use them much so can not elaborate on that ), it has offsets for anything i can think of, it does not need macros as almost anything can be implemented in hal ( much safer and more reliable ) but macros can be used and a lot of users here use them if i am not mistaken, probing routines can be programmed to your custom needs and there are some ready for use, it can support different types of toolchangers, it can also be used for some very strange machines like "rugbot" just do a search for it, etc etc, the list is very long.
Most of the machines you saw on my channel are in use all day, every day for several years, i had zero problems with them, it just never fails, ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
28 Dec 2019 02:55 #153353 by rodw
I am sure many of these machines are in jobbing shops.
www.tormach.com/

Pathpilot is a version of Linuxcnc and some guys in this forum are using the software on their own machines. There is a long thread abut it here.
There are plenty of retrofits running machining centres with tool changers. I don't think it would do a mill turn machine very well (it would take some work!)
how do you manage things like cutter compensation, tool length offsets, custom macros, probing routines, etc.?

All of this is supported.

As far as working a bank of machines, You would have a separate Linuxcnc controller on each machine and connect each machine to your network and simply share files from a central server. I believe there is a way to control Linuxcnc remotely but I have no experience with it.

More
29 Dec 2019 16:06 #153446 by Todd Zuercher
Our shop is primarily a wood working router shop. Most of the machines we have linuxcnc on are used for engraving and carving.

Our work flow is simular with our other machines (Fanuc and others). With the gcode files save to a central network file server. Having ethernet cable ran to all of the machines is a worthwhile investment. Letting files to be easily setup from the office cad/cam computers.

More
29 Dec 2019 16:44 - 29 Dec 2019 17:09 #153454 by justinnoor
Thanks. I still have a lot of homework to do on this. As of now I just cannot visualize how LinuxCNC could manage a large scale CNC milling operation for extremely high precision technical components. It seems like you would have to override the onboard controls (Fanuc, Haas, etc.), and that would be a dangerous proposition. Having a separate computer plugged into the side of every machine is simply unrealistic for 100+ machines. Not to mention you would lose service support from the vendors that the machines were purchased from.

However I am interested in exploring how this could become a reality someday. I’m a huge Linux/Unix geek and open source software advocate. Companies like Fanuc have monopolies on the controller software. They probably use Linux!
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 17:09 by justinnoor.

More
29 Dec 2019 17:16 #153460 by cmorley
So retrofitting machines with linuxcnc involves replacing the onboard controller with linuxcnc running on a computer. Often the original servo drives/motors are used (in fact preferred)
This would be done to each machine.

One usually does this because the original controller is broken and not serviceable or the control is so old that linuxcnc adds wanted features.
The ability to fix/update one's own machine is often an advantage.

As far as coordinating multiple machines, say in an automated line with robot interactions, that is not linuxcnc's current strength.
Not that it is impossible but would require a lot of very technical work.

It seems you might be thinking linuxcnc is something that it is not.
Linuxcnc is, at it's core, a single machine controller.

maybe if you explained more of what you were thinking or what has lead you to consider linuxcnc...

Chris

More
29 Dec 2019 17:25 - 29 Dec 2019 17:48 #153462 by justinnoor
Thanks for the response. In my original post I was looking for people who are actually implementing LinucCNC in a “job shop” environment, and I was wondering if they could share some details about their setup (how many machines, what kind of machines, what kinds of industries they make parts for, etc.).

I probably should have expanded on the term “job shop”. Here in the Silicon Valley, a job shop is typically a high precision machine shop with upwards of 30 CNC milling and turning machines. They typically make tight tolerance components for the semiconductor, medical, and defense industries. They make parts on demand, hence the name, but sometimes they do contract work as well. It is a fast paced, high standards, type of environment.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 17:48 by justinnoor.

More
29 Dec 2019 19:17 - 29 Dec 2019 19:17 #153475 by rodw
Todd who posted earlier is probably good example similar to your situation.
Linuxcnc is more likely to coexist with your existing proprietary Controllers (Fanuc et. al), not replace your whole fleet.
Its often used to refresh a mechanically sound machine that has an obsolete controller and give it a new lease of life.
The fact that it requires a PC is not really a drama. My Gigabyte Brix PC is 5" square and mounts behind a free standing monitor and an ethernet cable connects it to the Mesa Control board in the control box.

Linuxcnc will work well with Machining centres, lathes, routers and plasma cutting machines. But I think it would require some low level work to support a mill/turn machine (lathe with tailstock spindle and axis for milling). As with anything, accuracy is going to be determined by the accuracy of the underlying hardware and your machining methods but what works for you on Fanuc will work for you on Linuxcnc.

In summary, Linuxcnc is designed to control machines, not control workflow. If its workflow control you want, you should look elsewhere.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 19:17 by rodw.

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds