Talking to Trinamic tmc2160 drivers

More
11 Feb 2020 15:49 #157070 by BryceJ
I was tempted to try out these new trinamic driver (tmc2160) that I found on aliexpress (www.aliexpress.com/item/4000562183701.html) In theory 4.3A 60V max. I've been liking what I've seen from trinamic for 3d printers, but this was the first big driver I've seen using their chips.

I haven't gotten one in person yet, but they should have access to configure over spi. Mostly I was interested in getting feed back on the stallguard to shutdown if lost steps are detected. Maybe even using it to home like some 3d printers do if it isn't too abusive to the cnc. Being able to setup all the other configuration would be useful as well.

I have a mesa 5I25 and I believe that can talk spi. So that would be ideal. Otherwise, I might toss another board (arduino or something) in there and just flip a bit when the stall is detected.
Any thoughts?

Bryce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2020 15:56 #157073 by bbsr_5a
you can run them direct on the 5i25 as standard Step Dir
and will get lots of speed at nearly 200.000steps per second loaded with 48V

More
11 Feb 2020 22:45 #157106 by BryceJ
Yes that is true. I looking to do that to start with, but I was wanting to pull the stallguard and other spi data in as well to tell if steps get missed as a extra safety measure.

More
26 Feb 2020 15:30 #158550 by andypugh

I have a mesa 5I25 and I believe that can talk spi. So that would be ideal.

Sounds like a fun project. There is certainly SPI firmware for some Mesa cards. I am not sure what the appropriate physical interface would be, possibly the 7i74?

I have had a search and have not found any 5i25 bitfiles in the default set that look like they would contain any SPI channels, though.
(This was using a text editor to find-in-files " SPIClkPin" in the .VHD files then looking to see if I could spot a 5i25______.bit file with a similar name.)

More
26 Feb 2020 19:36 #158567 by Mike_Eitel
I'm on the quite similar tmc 2209 drivers, with mks pro v1. 1 and Marlin 2.04.

As fare as i understand they are configured by normal serial. And they have additional the stallguard as digital output. I did not look into the protocol, as Chinese doc from bigtree is not overwhelming...

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds