Simple Remote Pendant (with 2.8.1) analog joystick values

More
30 Jan 2021 06:27 #197120 by jtrantow
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Simple_Remote_Pendant is out of date for 2.8.1

In step 5, Simple Speed Setting it references halui.jog-speed which appears to have changed to halui.joint.jog-speed or halui.axis.jog-speed.

I tried "setp halui.axis.jog-speed 100" but I get an error message about pin already connected.

Is there an updated 2.8.1 guide for remote pendants?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2021 01:32 #197189 by andypugh
The Wiki is user-maintained (which tends to mean "not maintained")

It sounds like your HAL already has a connection to select jog speed, which is why you can't set it with setp. (it will take the value of the connected signal every servo thread, so setp would only work for a millisecond even if it was allowed)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtrantow

More
01 Feb 2021 17:31 #197319 by jtrantow
Thanks, I found the renaming info I was looking for in the dev Getting Started. I will consider updating the wiki example to work with 2.8.1.

More
01 Feb 2021 17:51 #197321 by andypugh

Thanks, I found the renaming info I was looking for in the dev Getting Started. I will consider updating the wiki example to work with 2.8.1.

That would be great, if you could.

You will need to know the name of the LinuxCNC mascot to edit the WIki. He is called "Chips"

More
02 Feb 2021 06:10 #197377 by jtrantow
I'm not seeing what I expect for the joystick analog values with a Logitech F310 gamepad. I'd appreciate any help.
I understand setting the jog-speed and have no problem with that part.
However, the original wiki entry uses (input.0.abs-x-position, input.0.abs-y-position, input.0.abs-rz-position) as the pins connected to the jog-L-analog signals???

When I look at HalMeter and move the right joystick, abs-x-position and abs-rz-position give me the expected analog values scaled between -1..+1. BUT when I move the left joystick I see the abs-hat0x-position and abs-hat0y-position value move from 0 to +-1 (without any intermediate values). When I press what I would call the "hat" it changes abs-x-position and abs-y-position between 0,-1,+1 again with out intermediate values.

I can not get analog xy values from the joysticks. From the feel of the "hat" it doesn't feel like an analog input. It seems that that the 2.8.1 hal_input with a Logitech F310 has the "hat" and the xy joystick mixed up??? I also noticed that the abs-hat0x-max min values are +1/-1 which is consistent with the "hat" being discrete and mapped to the wrong pins.

Does anyone have a working F310 and 2.8.1 where the xy jog speed is truly proportional to the joystick?

More
02 Feb 2021 06:27 #197379 by jtrantow
Correction to previous post:

When I look at HalMeter and move the right joystick, abs-z-position and abs-rz-position give me the expected analog values scaled between -1..+1.

More
02 Feb 2021 08:48 #197392 by andypugh

I can not get analog xy values from the joysticks. From the feel of the "hat" it doesn't feel like an analog input. It seems that that the 2.8.1 hal_input with a Logitech F310 has the "hat" and the xy joystick mixed up??? I also noticed that the abs-hat0x-max min values are +1/-1 which is consistent with the "hat" being discrete and mapped to the wrong pins.

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/commits/mas...r_comps/hal_input.py leads me to think that nothing significant has changed in hal_input since 2010. So I don't think that this is necessarily a problem in 2.8.1 compared to 2.7.x LinuxCNC.

Have you also changed the underlying operating system version and kernel?
Did this exact same joystick work previously?

I have noticed that events that were in input.h in 2.x Linux kernels:
elixir.bootlin.com/linux/2.4.30/source/i...e/linux/input.h#L398

Are now somewhere else in 4.x kernels
elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.19.172/sourc...t-event-codes.h#L729

But the numeric codes (which is what I assume hal_input uses to tell what is what) have stayed the same.

Are you saying that _none_ of the pins that are created report the joystick positions in analogue mode?

Does the joystick have a switch to convert from analogue to digital mode? I know that my old one used to, and I had to press it every time....

More
05 Feb 2021 22:18 #197786 by jtrantow
This is my first deep dive into the joystick, so I didn't mean to imply it broke in 2.8.1 just that it was what I was using.

My right joystick was working correctly and providing analog values, but D-Pad/hat and left joystick seemed mixed up.
I just went back to write down all the parameter values and pins and found that everything seems to be working correctly. I must have had something mixed up in my .hal.

So sorry for the confusion, it all seems ok. I will figure out how to update the wiki and add appropriate 2.8.1 examples for xyz and xz configurations.

Thanks for your help.

More
08 Feb 2021 16:20 #198013 by jtrantow
I'm happy with my joystick .hal changes. I have tested multiple xyz and xz configs on two different computers.

I'm working on the wiki update.

Couple questions:
1) Can I drop the pre-2.8 stuff? (old pin names)
2) Is there a drawing package with blocks for the hal components?
Attachments:

More
09 Feb 2021 04:49 #198119 by jtrantow
I updated the Simple Remote Pendant of the wiki.
I added some GraphViz HAL block diagrams that I think are useful.

The only thing I'd still like to do is figure out how to attach my joystick_xz.hal and joystick.xyz.hal files to the wiki so people don't have to cut and paste.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds