FileManager problems - Buster running 2.8.3

More
08 Sep 2022 17:20 #251510 by Henk
HI
Im not sure why this is happening, but over the past week, i have replaced the pc with another in a machine, installed the buster iso and updated using apt-get upgrade, followed by apt-get update. 

When Linuxcnc is running and you click on file >> Open to load a program, this message pops up. no file can be opened after this, file manager doesnt open from the tool bar icon either. I dont think this is a Linuxcnc issue, just not sure why it happens and how to get rid of it. 

Anyone had this issue?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2022 17:41 - 08 Sep 2022 17:43 #251511 by tatel
First apt update, then apt upgrade

Look for thunar (xfce file-manager) it looks as if you messed something and Thunar wouldn't be installed
Last edit: 08 Sep 2022 17:43 by tatel.

More
08 Sep 2022 19:14 #251516 by Henk
Hi, The problem is not always there. It will work fine for most of the day, then suddenly when loading a new program, this error appears.

Thunar is installed

More
17 Sep 2022 18:26 #252187 by andypugh
A web search suggested that this might be fixed by updating glibc.

More
18 Sep 2022 02:37 #252230 by arvidb
Don't try to force a glibc update though, let the package manager handle it (i.e. 'apt update', 'apt upgrade'), or you risk pretty much breaking your whole system (been there, done that, many years ago when I was a Linux newbie :) ).

Glibc is the system library that pretty much all other software is linked against and if you force an incompatible update your system won't boot and most software won't execute properly.

More
18 Sep 2022 12:28 #252254 by Henk
Thanks for this info.

How can i confirm though that i have the correct repos in my sources.list. im finding it hard to get that info, most likely because i dont know where to look.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds