7i97 analog out questions?

More
03 Mar 2024 01:23 #294969 by Troach101
Hello guys, this is my first post! I am currently working on a retrofit project on a hurco km3p. I am having some trouble with understanding why my 7i97 is outputting 10v from the analog outputs whenever the control power is selected. I would expect the AOut to be 0v at start up? 

Currently the machine starts running away when the control power is on and the servo amp is enabled. When the control power is not on on the 7i97. The servos do not move. Whenever I bypass the Linux CNC control and turn the control power on and server power on without the DAC and DAC return connected the machine does not move. I can also confirm that the card is outputting 10 volts across AOut and gnd.

I used the original documentation to set the scale for the encoders and that seems to be working well. I am currently away but I can attach my ini and hal files when I get back.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2024 02:02 #294970 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i97 analog out questions?
1. You should always enable the drives with an enable signal as most analog drives will drift
and eventually crash into the end stops if enabled with 0V velocity command. This is also
important for disabling the drives on a following error.

2. The 7I97 should have  0V analog outputs at startup. If this is a very old 7I97, I would update
the firmware as some very early firmware had issues with I/O states before LinuxCNC was run.

(You also need to make sure if you have a 7I97 or 7I97T as they use different firmware)

More
03 Mar 2024 02:26 #294971 by Troach101
The servo amp is a old randtronics that has an upstream contractor that gives movement power to the amp through a main CR. I currently have the machine configured where you have to enable the servos with a push button and the main control for LinuxCNC. I liked this configuration because it would ensure that the servos would not automatically come back on during a control power loss (estop).

I am feeling pretty good about the way I have that configured.I swapped this board with you Peter probably around a year ago for an 5i25 that was having some issues. If I'm not mistaken the card was flashed and up to date when you shipped it.

I can confirm that if I apply a AA battery to the DAC and return on the servo amp I can get concise movement in both directions. For x,y,z.

I will post my ini and hal files in around an hour! Thanks for the help!

More
03 Mar 2024 03:20 #294972 by PCW
If you get 10V out when you apply control power and LinuxCNC is not running
that is a flaw in the 7I97, most likely firmware related  (is this a 7I97 or 7I97T?) 

The drive enable is important so that if you get a motion fault or watchdog
bite, the drive will be disabled.

More
04 Mar 2024 15:48 #295145 by Troach101
It is a 7i97. I will check the current firmware. What is the newest firmware available for the 7i97? If I'm not mistaken you said that the parallel port on this particular card was not working as well. Would that also be a symptom of out of date firmware? Thank you for your help!

More
04 Mar 2024 16:49 #295149 by PCW
Its possible that is has old firmware since it is a test dropout
of unknown age

More
05 Mar 2024 02:14 #295180 by Troach101
I just looked at the firmware through the terminal.

mesaflash --addr 10.10.10.10 --device=ether--readhmid

It returns ETH device 7i97 at ip=10.10.10.10
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2024 02:22 #295182 by Troach101
Hal and ini attached.

Thanks for all of the help!!
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2024 05:49 #295197 by PCW
As I mentioned, I would update the firmware to the latest

More
07 Mar 2024 03:04 #295373 by Troach101
Thank you for the response. Do you have a suggestion for the newest firmware that is available for a single 7i97? I have downloaded the software support package from mesanet.com.

Also is it necessary to delete the old firmware?

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds