2 Parallel Ports - 1 Intenal, 1 PCI Parallel Port Card not configuring

More
24 Mar 2024 19:34 - 24 Mar 2024 19:56 #296640 by moazzam
Hi!I am an old timer from DOS age. I do know Windows but TOTALLY new to Linux or LinuxCNC. I am using an old HP Z210 with 1 integrated Parallel Port (Set to Bi-Directional or EPP/ECP).
I have successfully installed LinuxCNC_2.9.2-amd64.hybrid on the computer. The problem is the integrated parallel port does not register in LinuxCNC. I have checked the net and used some of the suggested commands to find the port. It seems the problem is allocation of parallel port somewhere else. I am attaching the command results. I would appreciate any help.
Regards
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Mar 2024 19:56 by moazzam. Reason: The text keeps on vanishing from post text box. The text attacment 3 also does not show the text inside.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2024 01:05 #296665 by tommylight
It is finding it on some of the results but not on lspci?
First check if it is enabled in BIOS

More
25 Mar 2024 01:24 #296668 by cornholio
When you mean "not register in linuxcnc" what do you exactly mean ? What errors are you getting ?
As far as the OS in concerned the onboard Parallel Port is being detect.

sudo dmesg | grep parport

The issue would appear to be with the plug in card, no driver seems to be loaded.

06:00.0 Parallel controller: Nanjing Qinheng Microelectronics Co., Ltd. Device 2170 (rev 0f) (prog-if 01 [BiDir])
Subsystem: Nanjing Qinheng Microelectronics Co., Ltd. Device 2170
Physical Slot: 6
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 3
Region 0: I/O ports at d010
Region 1: I/O ports at d000

I would conclude the on board PP is fine, the Plugin Card is the issue. Remove the Plug in card and try a simple config with just the on board parallel port

Try, this will let us see the PCI id of the plug in card and determine what driver, if supported, should be load.
lspci -nv

More
25 Mar 2024 01:39 #296672 by tommylight

More
25 Mar 2024 03:22 #296678 by cornholio
OP has already run lscpi -vv

lspci -nv will bring up the PCI id as well. From there we can work out driver support. Not that it matter than much, unless the driver sets up any on chip registers.

But I've never had much luck xeon processors, one was with a single cpu workstation class machine and another was with a dual cpu server class with realtime.

More
25 Mar 2024 09:22 #296699 by tommylight
For me it is the opposite, every Xeon i had was good latency vise! :)
A bit fuzzy from lack of sleep, but using sudo for lspci shows also the stuff that normally says "access denied", although for parallel port that does not list it changes nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
25 Mar 2024 10:52 #296709 by cornholio
I'll see your fuzzy from lack of sleep and raise 2 weeks of flu in the Aussie Summer. lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Mar 2024 16:02 - 25 Mar 2024 16:15 #296734 by moazzam
Hi!
Yes ... I agree ... The plugin Parallel port card seems not to have a driver installed. I am attaching the results of "sudo dmesg | grep parport" and  "lspci -nv"
Being a novice to Linux the question may sound stupid but how do you install the driver of PCI Parallel Card?
Regards.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Mar 2024 16:15 by moazzam.

More
25 Mar 2024 17:49 #296751 by tommylight

Being a novice to Linux the question may sound stupid but how do you install the driver of PCI Parallel Card?
Regards.

Not stupid at all, Linux and LinuxCNC have it's own drivers for it and as long as it is not one of those "software emulated ports" they just work, no install needed.
0xd010 or 0xd000 is the address for the add on card, the built in is at 0x378.
Add both those (try 010 first, the 000 for the add on one) in the stepconf wizard.

More
25 Mar 2024 17:51 - 25 Mar 2024 17:56 #296752 by Todd Zuercher
I agree the on board parallel port should working correctly at address 0x378 and isn't the problem.

Built in parallel ports will not show up in lspci lists, because they are not part of the PCI bus.

The system isn't picking up the additional card as a parallel port. Is it a PCIe card? I've found PCIe parallel port cards are often buggy and not well supported. But even though it may not be properly configured as a parallel port in the system, it may still work with Linuxcnc. (Linuxcnc doesn't use the system's parallel port drivers.) Try configuring Linuxcnc with the parallel port driver to directly access the ports by their addresses.
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xd000 out 0x378 out"
and if that doesn't work try.
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xd010 out 0x378 out"

If that fails, your only or best option will likely be to try a different card.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2024 17:56 by Todd Zuercher.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds