Max performance

More
08 Apr 2011 10:04 #8695 by jrobson_1
Max performance was created by jrobson_1
Hi

Is it possible for EMC to control modern servo's with high rapid rates say 2400IPM and high feedrates, 1200IPM, I assume no chance with the ltp port but with a plug-in card/usb/cat connection?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2011 11:05 #8698 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Max performance
jrobson_1 wrote:

s it possible for EMC to control modern servo's with high rapid rates say 2400IPM and high feedrates, 1200IPM, I assume no chance with the ltp port but with a plug-in card/usb/cat connection?

What positional tolerance would you need during the cuts? Assuming that you would need 0.0001" that seems to indicate a position update rate of 200kHz. I doubt EMC2 can do that.

If the spec is 0.001" tolerance during the fast cuts, then the answer is a qualified "maybe". I have run a 10kHz servo thread on an Atom board, I think that Pete has gone faster.

If you are using brushless servos you would probably need quite a low pole-count and fast leadscrews.
If we assume that you can run a 20kHz servo thread and have 4-pole motors and 4tpi ballscrews directly coupled then I get 31 updates per motor pole, which sounds plenty.

You might have problems with encoder resolution/count rate. For 0.0001" resolution on the 4tpi screws you need 2500-count encoders. That seems to indicate 200kHz encoder counting for the cuts, which the Mesa cards can handle. I am not sure that they could keep up during the rapids though. Mesa could probably advise on the absolute maximum count rates, but I think you would certainly need to choose your encoders carefully.

More
08 Apr 2011 15:27 #8708 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Max performance
A very high sample rate is not really required as the mechanical bandwidth of the system will likely be in to 100 Hz region.

Also the motor drives will have bandwidth limits in the couple hundred Hz to ~1 KHz region due to motor inductance (and random delays due to unsynchronized PWM switching) This in itself make sample rates over 10 KHz or so not of much use for medium to large size systems

Another way of looking at errors vs sample rate is by seeing what the maximum error you can get to with a full scale step in torque load. Say you have the 1200 IPM cutting speed and a fairly aggressive 0.1 second acceleration to full cutting speed (200 IPS/S) if we use this max acceleration for maximum load step size (this splits the load/acceleration torque budget of the motor 50-50) we can calculate how far our position can be off in single sample. With a 1 ms sample time the error distance traveled will be 1/2AT^2 or .0001" . Notice the inverse square of the sample period, so this gets smaller very fast when you get above 1 KHz.

A higher sample rate _will_ improve the loop phase margins, allowing more PID gain

The Mesa HostMot2 encoder counters with filtering on count to 4.4 MHz (5I20/5I25) or ~5.3 MHz(all other FPGA cards) Normally the encoders will be the limiting factor

More
08 Apr 2011 18:54 #8711 by jrobson_1
Replied by jrobson_1 on topic Re:Max performance
To be honest I haven't cut at that speed yet but it's advertised on the brochure. I have used the 2400ipm rapids though, well a bit less I think 2126 but I know some machines are 2400, with linear motors I've heard of 3500 or so... and was just curious to be honest, I have no need to replace my newer machine controls, only the old ones.

Nevertheless I've had a look at some replacement modern AC Servo's and they are over 100K steps per revolution on the encoder, in the faster systems I believe these are coupled to 20mm pitch ballscrews.

More
08 Apr 2011 20:51 #8713 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Max performance
So that's roughly 3000 RPM at rapid speeds so ~5 MHz count rate ( 5MHz = 50 RPS*100,000)
The HostMot2 counters can do that easily with the filter off (assuming these are quadrature encoders)

More
10 Apr 2011 10:02 #8735 by jrobson_1
Well it's actually just over 130K but you would probably use it with a 2 or 4x electronic gear or more...

More
18 Apr 2011 08:16 #9029 by jrobson_1
Staying on this topic, what about the acceleration curve? Can EMC be set to accelerate the motor like a modern control which uses an S curve or "bell" curve? Part of getting high performance is not the top speed but the acceleration, with mach one can only have a linear acceleration, which of course then limits one as well.

More
18 Apr 2011 09:57 #9032 by andypugh
jrobson_1 wrote:

Staying on this topic, what about the acceleration curve? Can EMC be set to accelerate the motor like a modern control which uses an S curve or "bell" curve? Part of getting high performance is not the top speed but the acceleration, with mach one can only have a linear acceleration, which of course then limits one as well.

EMC2 allows you to set acceleration limits for each joint individually. This gives you "S curve" profiles in velocity.

EMC2 does not, currently, do jerk limitation. (d3x/dt3) though there has been some talk of implementing it (so, no S-curves in accelleration)

I am pretty sure that jerk limitation doesn't have any axis performance impact, but it will make the machine tend to leap around less.

There has even been talk of going as far as allowing a jounce limit in EMC2.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jounce

If you really need jerk limitation, it would be easy to modify the limit3 hal function to implement it and to interpose that between the motion controller and the hardware driver.

More
18 Apr 2011 10:12 - 18 Apr 2011 10:18 #9035 by jrobson_1
Thanks, well I'm not a pc programmer, more a user so my experience is related to what I've used so excuse my simplistic explanations / questions. That being said when I compare a 10m/min fanuc 5t machine to a 54m/min fanuc 31i machine the difference is massive, the 31i control has very good jerk control and velocity curves, the machine moves along without causing much stress in the frame, the 5t however clearly has very poor acceleration control and can be heard when starting and stopping, the same I've noticed on a 6t as well... When fitting these older machines with modern controls I would like to have the smooth motion of the 31i if possible, even if the speed remains at 10m/min.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2011 10:18 by jrobson_1.

More
18 Apr 2011 11:39 #9042 by andypugh
If you are using a velocity loop then I think that the pid parameter "maxcmdDD" has the effect that you want.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds