autoconfig of pncconf from the pin or IDROM

More
06 Jul 2011 09:25 #11176 by cncbasher
PCW posted -
I would be nice if pncconf could read the info from the loaded bitfile (from the IDROM that specifies the pinout and numbers and types of modules) so it would work with any bitfile
not just the ones pncconf has built-in knowledge about.

i'd like to propose this , if it's feasable or not already progressed

or my thoughts are to read in the PIN file , if not directly from the chipset configuration

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 13:28 #11181 by BigJohnT
The best way to get something added/changed is to submit a git patch to the developers list with the changes you would like to see in it.

John

More
07 Jul 2011 00:50 #11201 by cmorley
reading the idrom is beyond my expertise but I intend to ask the developer that actually produces the files that pncconf can read how/if possible to add to pncconf.
The PIN file is not in a easily machine read format, though i may try to coble together a stand alone program to do it.
Another potential problem is that pncconf can be a little fussy about the firmware layout. I didn't design it to be capable of using every
combination - it makes some assumptions about pins - such as PWM gens will have two pins pwm and direction , i just saw a custom firmware that has a pwm gen with only pwm signal. Pncconf needs to be modified to look for this - the combinations can become large.
While i could force the user to configure _every_ pin and avoid some of this problem then that means they need to know more about the details of components then they should have to.
Right now you configure a signal for one pins of a component and pncconf searches for the related pins and automatically assigns them.

The other thing is I am not an super experienced programmer ( Just a lowly millwright :) ) so am learning as I go.
Chris M

More
07 Jul 2011 10:47 #11214 by andypugh
The trick might be to add a function to the Hostmot2 driver code that simply returns the module descriptor for a given bitfile.
I keep meaning to look at it properly.

More
07 Jul 2011 19:45 #11236 by cncbasher
i'm looking at it too , still getting my head around pncconf and the arrays .. you did a good job so far Chris . i just need to catch up with the flow
the pin file appears to be txt readable so that may be a way .

More
07 Jul 2011 19:47 #11237 by BigJohnT
Yea, I second that, my hats off to Chris for doing all the work to get pncconf up and going.

Thanks for all the effort on pncconf.

John

More
08 Jul 2011 00:21 #11238 by cmorley
Well I'm glad people find it useful and usable. i have been learning lots along the way.
Trying to configure Mesa equipment is like shooting a moving target -
Peter brings out new stuff and Andy keeps building drivers for them
It's all so cool i want to incorporate them into pncconf.
i just hope it doesn't get too complicated for the newer user that it's built for.
The feedback from users helps a lot.

More
08 Jul 2011 07:48 #11247 by cncbasher
i dont mind helping Chris , 2 dumb brains may be better than one , trying to keep up with Peter and Andy !

More
08 Jul 2011 08:34 #11249 by 1:1
cmorley wrote:

Well I'm glad people find it useful and usable. i have been learning lots along the way.
Trying to configure Mesa equipment is like shooting a moving target -
Peter brings out new stuff and Andy keeps building drivers for them
It's all so cool i want to incorporate them into pncconf.
i just hope it doesn't get too complicated for the newer user that it's built for.
The feedback from users helps a lot.

I'm a newer user but I feel that most people who opt for Mesa gear already have slightly more lofty ambitions in terms of system complexity than say a 3 axis stepper - I'm sort of stuck between the ease of setting it up and the relative chore of learning how to set it up from scratch. Pncconf in some ways might be the wrong choice to have gone down in that I have already made small workarounds because of its simplicity, maybe if I had read the manual I might have caught up with where I am now ?

That being said, I certainly can look at the code it outputs and learn from that.

Maybe a simple mode and more of an 'integrators' option, which effectively becomes a GUI for HAL ??

Still waaaaay behind on this stuff, so I hope I'm not talking out of turn :ohmy:

More
08 Jul 2011 10:52 #11253 by Rick G
Well I would also like to thank you Chirs for the hard work.
Pncconf as it is now saves a new user HOURS of time getting up and running.
It provides a working config for many setups and a starting point for others that the output can easily be editied if needed for new/different hardware.

Rick G

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds