Pncconf error when selecting 5i25

More
05 Aug 2014 23:01 #49531 by jeeybee
I get this error when pressing forward after choosing 5i25 in pncconfig:
PNCconf encountered an error. The following information may be useful in troubleshooting:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 4536, in on_basicinfo_next
self.mesa_firmware_search(i)
File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 4610, in mesa_firmware_search
root = xml.etree.ElementTree.parse(os.path.join(firmdir,boardtitle,currentfirm+".xml"))
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 862, in parse
tree.parse(source, parser)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 579, in parse
source = open(source, "rb")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/lib/firmware/hm2/5i25/_7i78x2.xml'

I have followed this guide to get the files needed linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/39-...ml-files-for-pncconf

It also starts without error if I start Linuxcnc and choose the demo profile for 5i25-7i77
and also the last line in the error where it says something about 7i78x2, why does it try to find this when I have not chosen the daughter card, which is not 7i78 but 7i77?

What could be wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2014 01:00 #49535 by PCW
for 2.6 If you choose the internal 5i25 info it should work

More
06 Aug 2014 01:39 #49537 by jeeybee
I have 2.5.4, should not that work?

More
06 Aug 2014 01:59 #49538 by akb1212
I'm experiencing something that might be similar.

I was trying to import .xml files to make it possible to use my confuguration, because my configuration isn't found in the "normal" configs. I have one 5i25 with one 7i74 on P3 (the d-sub connector) and a 7i77 on the internal connector. And since I found .xml files which seemet to be for that configuration tried to link those to be available in Pncconf.
After fiddling around in Linux (Debian is obviously different than Ubuntu..... &¤&¤%&¤&!) I managed to link them up in a way that I was able to find them in Pncconf.

But I ended up unable to finish. Instead this error message was given when I was on the last step:
PNCconf encountered an error.  The following information may be useful in troubleshooting:

File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 8371, in on_complete_finish
    self.data.save()
  File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 3444, in save
    self.write_halfile(base)
  File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 2470, in write_halfile
    if "m1" in self["mesa0sserial0_%dsubboard"% (i-1)]:
  File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 3602, in __getitem__
    return getattr(self, item)
AttributeError: Data instance has no attribute 'mesa0sserial0_5subboard'

I figured this might be because of these new .xml files might not be correct for Pncconf. So I tried to use the built in ones.

BTW, there seems to be some basic configurations built in to the software now. That means there are no need to install the script in the link.

I didn't find a 5i25 dir in /lib/firmware/hm2 as expected. On previous versions there were scrips made to in stall this dir with the most common configs in it. And parts of that script is what I used to copy the other .xml files in there (since normal moving and copying of files are made impossible in this version of Linux (I must admit there were a fair amount of swearing going on here when I found it was next to impossible to do a simple task of moving some simple files I had downloaded in to the dir I needed them to be..... ))
But I did check if there was available configs for 5i25 anyway, and there was. It was now possible to choose "5i25-Internal Data" as card. And by choosing that you get the basic configs that the script also provided.

Anyway, my first attempt with using a normal one off 7i77 card only (but configured on the wrong connector from how I have it) worked as expected. And I was able to save that config.
To be able to use my 7i77 on the internal connector (and disregarding the 7i74 for now) I wanted to make a second config with 2 7i77. So I configured it to use the ports on the last 7i77 card only. The point of doing this was to see the addresses used on the second 7i77 and change them in the other config.

But this failed with the same error message as the first attempt with the 5i25_7i74_7i77.xml file.

So I'm not sure if it's because the .xml file I used is incorrect for Pncconf or not. I tried to compare the .xml files with the ones installed by the script.
I'm no programmer, but I wasn't able to figure out if there is something about these files that doesn't work.

Is this something that is similar to stepconfig not working (and thus why version 2.6.1 is released already)?

I also experienced error messages while choosing a config:
PNCconf encountered an error.  The following information may be useful in troubleshooting:

File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 6891, in on_general_pin_changed
    self.widgets[table].show()
  File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 608, in __getitem__
    if r is None: raise IndexError, "No widget %r" % attr
IndexError: No widget 'mesa0sserial1_1table2'

I'm sorry I don't remember what config I chose to get that error message. I can try to replicate it if it's important.

I hope someone is able to look at this and are able to figure out what's wrong.

Anders

More
06 Aug 2014 10:08 #49549 by cmorley
canyou post your XML file and what version of linuxcnc are you using please

More
06 Aug 2014 14:19 #49553 by akb1212
I'm using 2.6 with Debian Wheezy.

I'm not able to find the built in 5i25 configs, so I cant post them here. But this is the file I tried to use as it fits my hardware config:

File Attachment:

File Name: 5i25_7i74_7i77.xml
File Size:10 KB

It gives me the error mentioned. But it also fails when using the built on ones. At least the one with 2 7i77.

I will now revert back to my 2.5.4 install (10.04 LTS) to try to work out the correct adress for the cards I have connected. I kept this on a different HD partition on the same computer, which I'm glad I did now. This is why I tried the 2 x 7i77 config that failed.

But the sad thing is that my 2.5.4 installation won't work anymore. I have reprogrammed my 5i25 with a 5i25_7i74_7i77.pin file. Worst case scenario is to program it back to a 5i25_7i77_7i74.pin file. But that is last resort since it will mess up my wiring. And there are no real reason why this should work better than having the 7i74 on the P3 connector?

Anders
Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2014 18:48 #49562 by PCW

But the sad thing is that my 2.5.4 installation won't work anymore. I have reprogrammed my 5i25 with a 5i25_7i74_7i77.pin file

I hope you programmed the 5i25 with the 5i25_7i74_7i77.bit file...
the .pin file is just a text pinout documentation file.

More
07 Aug 2014 10:29 #49572 by cmorley
can you please post the xml file compressed as I can't download it otherwise.

Chris m

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds