5i25/7i77 xyz servo build

More
28 Oct 2014 08:54 #52474 by cmtunnel
I am building an xyz machine. I am wondering the quickest way to get the 3 servos running and the machine moving around. I have the pc set up with 10.04 and updated linuxcnc. I also have the firmware loaded via the update file from one of the other posts. The cards are installed but not hooked up to the machine yet. I am only seeing two yellow lights on the 7i77 near the lower left/middle. I'm not sure the steps to take from here. I am reading up on the pncconf and will be getting into that over the next few days. Should i just start with pncconf from scratch or is it easier to start with the samples? Does the machine need to be wired in or can i test the plug&go just plugged into the pc? How do I tell the cards are working correctly? I just want to get the servos working now.....I'll get the limits working as i get closer to using the machine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2014 11:10 #52476 by Todd Zuercher
I think that you need to have field power applied to the 7i77 before the io will work. But the rest of the machine wiring is not nessisary to run PNC config.

If you want to mess around you can jump right in with PNC config.

Sample configs aren't much use without anything attached.

More
02 Nov 2014 21:29 #52690 by cmtunnel
Replied by cmtunnel on topic 5i25/7i77 xyz servo build
are the amplifier enablers necessary? I'm using avanced motion controls 12a8 amps and can't find anything that seems to fit that bill.............I only had the incoming reference inputs and tachometer leads coming into the amps with the last control I was using.

More
02 Nov 2014 22:05 #52691 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic 5i25/7i77 xyz servo build
yes , .. it's a safety matter , pin 11 Inhibit in 12a8 manual

More
02 Nov 2014 22:12 #52692 by Todd Zuercher
I suppose they wouldn't be necessary, but I would not want to run a machine without it. If the amps have no provision for enable/disable, I would probably put in relays to cut power and serve the same purpose.

More
03 Nov 2014 07:30 #52706 by cmtunnel
ok so this is how the watchdog stops the system? My system does have the relays & I was wondering how I was going to hook that into linuxcnc. I guess I can just bypass my current system?

More
03 Nov 2014 09:50 - 03 Nov 2014 10:09 #52707 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 5i25/7i77 xyz servo build
There are typically at least 2 levels of safety in a LinuxCNC servo system

One is E-Stop or Emergency stop. This removes power from the spindle and the servo drives
This is typically implemented completely in hardware (relays, switches, contactors etc).

A lower level of safety is provided by LinuxCNC's following error monitoring. If the servos actual position
(as reported by the encoders) differs by a large enough amount from the commanded position,
LinuxCNC will shut down and disable the servo drives. This is what the drive enables on the servo drives are used for.

Note that unfortunately your drives do not have drive enable inputs but rather drive disable inputs

To use these you will probably have to use a normally closed relay to connect the disable inputs to ground
when not specifically enabled by LinuxCNC
Last edit: 03 Nov 2014 10:09 by PCW.

More
04 Nov 2014 05:08 - 04 Nov 2014 05:32 #52738 by cmtunnel
I have an e-stop set up now with relays. With the last control the pc/control card shutting down would also shut down the servos. So will I be able to connect linuxcnc to the old relay connections through the 7i77? I'll look at the drive info. but I'm not totally grasping what I need to do here. Thanks for the help.

Looks like there's an "inhibit in" connections and a positive and negative inhibit also. It also says in the manual that the +/- can be inverted by removing a jumper. Hope that helps.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2014 05:32 by cmtunnel.

More
05 Nov 2014 01:14 - 05 Nov 2014 08:43 #52777 by cmtunnel
Does anyone have a schematic or some info. I can use to do the above? I think at this point that this is the only thing keeping me from being able to power up the machine.

Ok I called amc and i think i understand. Going to post a drawing tonight of the current wiring and hopefully that will make it more clear.

Files attached of my existing system. Any help on re-wiring is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 08:43 by cmtunnel.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds