Read encoder index using I/O

More
20 Nov 2014 01:21 #53217 by andypugh
The software encoder module can count encoder pulses on GPIO, but only slowly. In fact with a typical Mesa card setup it can only manage a few hundred hertz.

Homing to index only actually needs to accurately count encoder pulses during the latch move. I don't think it matters if you lose counts at other times, as long as you disable following-error reporting.

So, without testing, and possibly missing important points, I think that for a slow-enough latch move you could use GPIO and the software encoder counter for index-homing.
You would need at least the A and Index connected, but as the latch move will always be in the same direction you ought to be able to use counter-mode and ignore B.

This assumes that the index pulse is at least as long as an A/B pulse.

The differential wiring is a separate issue, and I am not sure what the answer is there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2014 18:20 #53260 by guymalpass
Hi Andy,
That certainly sounds like a plausible solution, if I was to utilise the leadshine drivers I wouldn't need differential inputs to the mesa hardware either as I could put an encoder splitter near the drivers and the cable length wouldn't be an issue any more. Ie differential from the encoders to the drivers and then single ended for the short run to the 7i76. I have, however, now ordered a 7i77 as it will be cheaper than replacing my drivers while also being possibly the more "correct" way of doing things.

More
21 Nov 2014 19:38 #53261 by andypugh

I have, however, now ordered a 7i77 as it will be cheaper than replacing my drivers while also being possibly the more "correct" way of doing things.

What drives do you have? I see no evidence that the Leadshine EasyServo drives can take an analogue velocity input.

More
21 Nov 2014 23:38 - 21 Nov 2014 23:44 #53263 by guymalpass
Clarification of potential solutions:

1. Replace current drives (Kinco 2M2280N) with leadshine ES-DH2306 and install encoders on the steppers to feed A and B channels into the new drives. I was then interested in the possibility of feeding the index channels into the 7i76 for homing purposes. Doing things this way would allow me to leave my stepgen setup unaltered.

2. Buy a 7i77 and run all the encoder channels into it, either for full closed loop operation or for monitoring following error. This allows me to keep the dumb kinco drives but if I go down the closed loop road requires modifying my stepgen setup.

Where I have mentioned previously running in velocity mode I was referring to the stepgen, not analogue output. I hope that answers your question otherwise maybe you've spotted something I have overlooked?
I would like to get to the stage whereby my gantry squares itself using the index pulses and monitors it's position while working to ensure it may be left unattended; while also having Rob's new trajectory planner. However it seems DaBit has done some work towards achieving the same goal without obtaining a satisfactory solution (from threads you were very active in Andy). Before I read that thread I was under the impression that gentrivkins would solve my problems but it seems further digging is required.

Thread referred to in post: linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/49-...try-machine?start=20
Last edit: 21 Nov 2014 23:44 by guymalpass. Reason: url added for completeness

More
21 Nov 2014 23:47 #53264 by andypugh

Where I have mentioned previously running in velocity mode I was referring to the stepgen, not analogue output. I hope that answers your question otherwise maybe you've spotted something I have overlooked?

You may have overlooked the fact that the 7i77 has analogue voltage outputs rather than step and direction outputs?

So you will need both 7i76 and 7i77 if you want steppers + encoders.

For stepper + encoder setups the 7i85S board might be what you want:
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_87&product_id=125

More
21 Nov 2014 23:49 - 21 Nov 2014 23:50 #53265 by guymalpass
Haha yes another thing didn't mention! The 7i77 will be running off the P2 connector from the 5i25 alongside my 7i76 on the P3.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2014 23:50 by guymalpass. Reason: Put wrong connector number

More
22 Nov 2014 03:03 - 22 Nov 2014 03:05 #53270 by Todd Zuercher
Did you need the additional IO or the analog outputs for somthing? I would have thought that a 7i85 or 7i85S would have been a more economical way to add encoder inputs.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2014 03:05 by Todd Zuercher.

More
22 Nov 2014 03:18 #53271 by guymalpass
This machine may end up with 5 encoders on it in which case the 7i85 wouldn't have enough inputs. Also mesa supplies a pre made configuration for a combination of 7i76 and 7i77, nice and easy in pncconf then!

More
22 Nov 2014 04:16 #53272 by Todd Zuercher
Don't forget the 7i76 has one of it's own.

More
22 Nov 2014 06:16 #53275 by guymalpass
Oh yes, never mind I'm sure I'll have a play with servos someday and I'll be glad of the 7i77 then.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds