Thinking about a 5i25 board only

More
20 Aug 2016 16:48 - 20 Aug 2016 16:58 #79149 by PCW
This is pretty typical of step motors driven past their torque limits

This why I asked about the lead pitch and step drive ustep ratio
( To see if the parallel port step rate is likely to a limiting factor )

also what is you power supply voltage?
Last edit: 20 Aug 2016 16:58 by PCW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2016 17:44 - 20 Aug 2016 17:53 #79154 by chucktilbury
I just looked up the datasheet for the TB6560, which is the chip that my drivers are based upon. It has a maximum clock rate of 15KHz. Compared to a maximum rate of 300KHz for a Leadshine driver. think I will get some drivers that are based on the TB6600. It has a max clock rate of 200KHz. Maybe I need to give that a try.

I have been taking a look at other drivers such as Leadshine and Wantai. They sure do look similar. Same specs and part numbers and everything. I wonder who -actually- makes them. Specifically, I am looking at the Wantai M542MA. here

edit: I failed to mention that Wantai is 1/2 the price of Leadshine.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2016 17:53 by chucktilbury.

More
20 Aug 2016 17:48 #79155 by chucktilbury

This is pretty typical of step motors driven past their torque limits

This why I asked about the lead pitch and step drive ustep ratio
( To see if the parallel port step rate is likely to a limiting factor )

also what is you power supply voltage?

The lead pitch is 4mm/rev and the screws are ball screws, not Acme. The supply is 24V. I have is set for 1/8 steps. It seems as though there is plenty of torque to drive it. It will absolutely break off a 1/4" end mill if I bury it. :)

More
20 Aug 2016 18:04 #79157 by tommylight
55mm/sec is a 3300 mm/minute speed! Why would you wana go any faster on that ???
Never mind.
I would suggest you set the microsteping at 1/2 or at 1/1, that way you get a bit more vibration, but quite some more torque, and theoretically 8 times more speed.
Tom

More
20 Aug 2016 19:31 #79160 by chucktilbury
Ya, know what, You are right. I set the step rate to 50nS and that worked just fine, but it only boosted the speed to 65mm/S (actually 67.62). So I reset it back to 1000nS and 55mm/S and I will just use it that way. It's really only the G00 moves that are affected anyhow. It really can run for hours without missing steps or whatever.

I have enough spare parts to build a whole box just like the one that came with the machine, maybe a little better. I guess I am just going to go with what I have and use those parts to build a 3D printer. :laugh:

Thanks for the input. It's been very helpful. I did not really know how what my expectations ought to be.

More
20 Aug 2016 20:25 #79169 by tommylight
You are more than welcomed, always.
I tend to test the c...p out of the machines i build and push them far beyond what they are supposed to handle, but when i install them at an actual working place, i tend not to go even near those speeds ( example, www.facebook.com/tomacnc check the first post, the red plasma cutter, it can do easily 36 meters a minute as i made it very light, the whole moving gantry is 12 KG, but i left it at 7.2 meters/minute. During use it will never be used above 3m/min).
Regards,
Tom

More
20 Aug 2016 20:32 #79171 by chucktilbury
Thanks! Nice machines. I "liked" the FB page.

I had thought of building a plasma table, but I think I will get more use out of a 3D printer. I want to do aluminum castings and I will use the printer to make positives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Aug 2016 20:48 #79174 by chucktilbury
For what it's worth, I bought some of these . I tried them out and they work great for 2A motors.

I turned up all of the parameters in stepconfig to be as fast as they will go for the max latency that I have and it still seems to work just fine. I can probably benefit from getting something like a mesa 7i92. As I said earlier, it probably does not matter if I make the machine go faster, but being able to get rid of the parallel port would be a big plus.

More
20 Aug 2016 22:12 #79179 by tommylight

For what it's worth, I bought some of these . I tried them out and they work great for 2A motors.

Those can push over 4A per phase to the motors, BUT some that i got earlier had some problems, namely :
No silicone paste between the chip and cooler so i had to add it
The settings had a strange behaviour, so the max torque i would get only if i set it to 1/16 micro stepping and at 4A (not 5A), all other settings would yield weird results, so i set it at 1/1 and at 3A for what i needed them and they are still in use without issues.

Since you're in the mood for liking, here's the link to my youtube page
www.youtube.com/channel/UCS0X88R7n7P2jIF..._id=0&view=0&sort=dd
Plenty of videos, sadly i do not take pictures and videos very often, someone has to work, you know ! :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: chucktilbury

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds