What's the PC Spec for Mesa 7i76e ?

More
02 Oct 2016 19:51 #81156 by vmihalca
Hello,

I'm in the process of converting my lathe to cnc, finished the mechanical changes and now comes the software.
I'm using stepper motors and an ABZ encoder with 360ppr for spindle.
I saw that Mesa 7i76e connects through ethernet and seems to have all that 7I76-5I25 PLUG-N-GO KIT has
I have already wasted some money on some windows based solutions, so before I order the board I would like to know if there are any special conditions my pc has to meet in order to have this board working at it max potential.
Does the latency matters if I'm using an external board?
Right now I'm using a desktop pc, but with this ethernet board in the future I might use a laptop. Do you guys think a laptop configuration would work with this board?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2016 13:38 #81248 by Todd Zuercher
Latency does still matter, but the latency requirement is much less than that required for software stepping.
A laptop can work, but I wouldn't recommend it, and most aren't capable of good enough latency.

More
08 Oct 2016 13:30 #81409 by newbynobi
This is a latency histogram from an older pentium laptop runnung linuxcnc2.7.7 with UBUNTU 10.04
Latency is pretty good.

I want to use that one for my mill with a 7i76e and I am pretty sure not getting problems.

Norbert
Attachments:

More
09 Oct 2016 20:35 #81474 by Todd Zuercher
Remember with an Ethernet Mesa card you have to use a Preempt-RT kernal rather than RTAI. An older single core processor like that might not have enough horsepower to run a Preempt-RT kernel well, and a laptop with all of its power-saving features disabled may run dangerously hot.

More
10 Oct 2016 19:23 #81523 by newbynobi
Hallo Tod,

you are so right, here the same Laptop with Wheesy and RT_PREEMP Kernel,
Not very good :-(

Norbert
Attachments:

More
10 Oct 2016 19:32 #81524 by Todd Zuercher
You may want to try again, your histogram image, does not show that the preemp-rt kernel is the one running.

More
11 Oct 2016 01:07 #81536 by PCW
Laptops can have decent latency with Preempt-RT (dell E2420):

freeby.mesanet.com/e6420.png

Note that you cannot change from line to battery power or change backlight brighness on that particular
laptop without having huge latency spikes, that said, I have run real time Ethernet cards on that laptop
for days on line power without issue
The following user(s) said Thank You: eFalegname

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds