Help with Mesa 7i76e Setup for Closed Loop Stepper

More
07 Sep 2017 03:39 #98602 by JJ0704
rodw, I just tried the "match the labels" wiring method out of curiosity and low and behold, that also worked!

So, that begs the question of what is the "correct" wiring method? Surely there must be a correct way of wiring these drivers for proper/full performance. Does anybody have a good explanation for what is right or why it doesn't matter?

Thanks!
JJ

p.s. - this is so cool to see my three motors spinning in unison while it pretends to machine the LinuxCNC logo...a small victory!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2017 03:50 #98603 by PCW
The advantage of differential drive (using both + and - output and inputs) is that the step/dir signals have
greater immunity to crosstalk and noise coupled from nearby wires. This is more important with higher
performance drives with fast input circuitry

A small disadvantage is that the maximum drive current is slightly less since there are effectively 2 output
drivers in series in differential mode.

More
07 Sep 2017 10:02 #98620 by rodw

p.s. - this is so cool to see my three motors spinning in unison while it pretends to machine the LinuxCNC logo...a small victory!

Takes me back. How such small things make us so excited! You'll be running in no time!

More
08 Sep 2017 00:35 #98648 by JJ0704

The advantage of differential drive (using both + and - output and inputs) is that the step/dir signals have
greater immunity to crosstalk and noise coupled from nearby wires. This is more important with higher
performance drives with fast input circuitry

A small disadvantage is that the maximum drive current is slightly less since there are effectively 2 output
drivers in series in differential mode.

So, just to be clear, I believe what you described above is the "match the labels" method, correct? Is that your preferred wiring method?

Thanks for the assistance, this has been a great learning experience and I hope to someday pass it along as I start to understand it better.

More
08 Sep 2017 01:09 #98649 by JJ0704

You'll be running in no time!

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! :)

Not likely. I make progress at a truly glacial pace...the only free time I get to play with this stuff is after all the kids go to bed and if I have no other tasks to do around the house.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds