Setup network interface

More
12 Feb 2018 12:17 #105786 by smplc
Trying to setup network interface. Debian 9 (Stretch) operating system. Mesa 7i92 Ethernet Anything I/O card with FPGA and motion controller. Mesa site downloaded 7i92 firmware. Terminal syntax.

ip a
1: lo <LOOPBACK, UP, LOWER_UP>
2: enp3s0 <BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP, LOWER_UP> (If modem directly plugged into Ethernet port)(7i92 port)
3: wlp2s0 <NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP> (Carrier if modem is plugged into Ethernet to USB adapter)
4: enx0000000ec33: <NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP> (Carrier if modem is plugged into Ethernet to USB adapter varibably #3 or #4)

ip route
default enp3s0 (Or whichever plugged into modem.)

enp3s0 would be expected network interface with 7i92. Other ports if Internet connection.

sudo edit /etc/networking/interfaces

source /etc/networking/interfaces.d/*
Copy and paste foregoing specifications of static syntax.

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

ifup failure.
What could be missing (is syntax) and how to get interface up and if to ping verify?
I'd like to write mesaflash to 7i92.

When in LinuxCNC PnCConf and at Mesa board menu 7i92 isn't among selection. Is selection just reference and would effect 7i92? 7i92 was chose due to it's simple wire terminals and already hardware.

How delete /etc/network/interfaces.swp not needed from previous attempts and failure? D[delete] not working.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2018 14:54 - 12 Feb 2018 14:54 #105793 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Setup network interface
I see a number of errors in the interfaces file and mesaflash command

First you need to use the addresses in the example:

auto [your-ethernet-device-name]
iface [your-ethernet-device-name] inet static
address 10.10.10.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

Then make sure you have the 7I92's 10.10.10.10 address selected ( 7I92 W5 down W6 up and a power cycle )

Then with the 7I92 powered and connected to the Ethernet device used above, try
ping 10.10.10.10

If this works (the 7I92 answers) you should be ok and you can try things like

mesaflash --device 7i92 --addr 10.10.10.10 --readhmid
Last edit: 12 Feb 2018 14:54 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: COFHAL

More
13 Feb 2018 11:44 #105816 by smplc
Replied by smplc on topic Setup network interface
Recovered network interface swap and edited script to foregoing revision and response.
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Restarting networking (via systemctl): networking.serviceJob for networking service failed because the control process exited with error code.

No interface up.

Does #The loopback network interface# remain with enp3s0 swap? It remained like attached image and only edited was enp3s0 block. Should #The loopback network interface# get removed from swap, would original be separate and is that two files among source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* ?

Could another syntax restart network?

Is an alternative instead of terminal script? Is a dialog or wizard file that'd simplify setting up a network interface that'd communicate with present build and underlying script?

More
13 Feb 2018 15:15 #105824 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Setup network interface
Yes, you can use the network manager to set this up

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds