7i76 spindle control without encoder?

More
29 Apr 2018 20:28 #109824 by bally123
Hi All

I am at a stage where I want to run my 3 axis mill with basic open loop spindle control. I don't need synchronous spindle motion right now and just want to do some test cuts an generally prove things out a bit more.

I have a VSD 0-10V with direction and enable wired to TB4. This works in manual mode and spindle override seems to work but have not checked actual speed in detail.

If i run in MDI the spindle runs away to max speed - i guess due to the lack of an encoder signal.

I set up TB4 in PNFCONF as spindle, in subsequent spindle set up configured 0-10v over 2600 rpm, The remainder of the set up relates to encoder parameters. Is it possible to set up without an encoder?

Not sure how relevant but when I set up the board I set jumpers to TTL as I expected if I add an encoder at some point it will be single channel, single sided.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2018 19:50 #109864 by bally123
Ok so after a bit of sleep it turns out nothing much was wrong....

A combination of over thinking and not understanding the manual control in Axis UI (it's important use + /- buttons after pressing spindle start to get initial motion)

Somehow this lead me to accidentaly putting a stupid value in output_scale.Once corrected all is well

#********************
# Spindle
#********************
[SPINDLE_9]
P = 0.0
I = 0.0
D = 0.0
FF0 = 1.0
FF1 = 0.0
FF2 = 0.0
BIAS = 0.0
DEADBAND = 0.0
MAX_OUTPUT = 2600.0
ENCODER_SCALE = 1000.0
OUTPUT_SCALE = 2600.0
OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT = 0.0
OUTPUT_MAX_LIMIT = 2600.0

I guess the answer to my question was open loop mode is indicated by FF0 = 1 and all other PID values = 0 - maybe this might help someone ......

More
30 Apr 2018 20:32 #109868 by PCW
Yes, if you have the PID setup so FF0= 1 and all other parameters are 0 the, PID component simply copies
the commanded value from input to output. I think pncconf does this to make it just a minor change to add feedback
control.

More
02 May 2018 22:46 #110066 by andypugh
You can do open-loop control trivially without the PID, but if Stepconf puts a PID in there I can understand the reasoning.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds