How to add a new Mesa card to pncconf?

More
02 Sep 2019 05:06 #143877 by rodw

The only thing that annoys me about developing is that no matter how you phrase you documentation or how much documentation you have, not everyone seems to understand it.

Phill, You'll be pleased to know that after refining 20 pages of fitting instructions littered with photos for one product from user feedback over 10 years, I still get people calling up half way through the job with questions!
The following user(s) said Thank You: COFHAL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2019 02:44 #144653 by shasse
Chris-

I'm working on testing pncconf for both the 7i93 card addition and the servo-based tandem axis code you put in a while back on a real machine. I found a minor issue and am planning to submit a PR for your review. Which branch is the most convenient for me to base my fix from for your review and hopefully subsequent merge?

I also saw the restructure you made to make adding cards simpler in the future. Nice work!

Thanks!

Scott

More
10 Sep 2019 04:48 #144660 by cmorley
Oh good- thanks for working on the code.
Yes you inspired me to do a little clean up work too.

branch 2.8 would be best but I could cherry pick from master if need be.

Chris

More
10 Sep 2019 06:18 #144665 by pl7i92
isent the way to take the PIN file ((that the bit produces for ETH cards)) for a start layout on poncconf
and like in AXIS only do 2 lists of input posible or output posible
so for GPIO a checkbox Standard OUT checked = IN sets the Config this way
and gives the list as popup

i never used pncconf as no card i use fits the system and doing by hand starting with a base from the configs is a good learning
ok i see that after 6month in business and almost every day in forum it is a SEMIPro event far from master but not a Noob

More
10 Sep 2019 12:59 #144694 by shasse
Chris-

What does it take to get added to the repo so I can push a branch and make a PR? If that is arduous, I can work off of a fork as well. My personal github ID is 'sphasse'

Thanks,

Scott

More
11 Sep 2019 14:27 #144823 by shasse
Chris-

Here is my modest effort at a fix for a minor problem with servo gantries:

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/647

I have not run the real machine with the generated configuration yet, so I might identify some other stuff as I work through that. Please let me know if I should be using a different workflow for proposing fixes.

Thanks!

Scott

More
12 Sep 2019 03:29 #144889 by shasse
Chris-

Also as this thread has gone somewhat far afield, and you have added the 7i93 and other cards to pncconf (thanks!), I did want to try and wrap up the original question of how to add a new card to pncconf. I've taken a swipe at answering that for myself in this PR:

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/648

which might expose some of my ignorance of the whole process, but I am hoping it can take some of the burden of maintaining cards and firmware configs off of you and enable others to do so. If you could review and let me know where I've gotten it wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

Then I think we can close this thread down :-).

Thanks again,

Scott

More
12 Sep 2019 03:52 #144891 by shasse
I should add, if you want to ignore this documentation feel free. Having it would introduce some mental coupling to the way things are currently done, and if you are planning to do additional restructures then maintaining this documentation would actually add more work. I definitely appreciate that aspect of it and won't be offended if that is the case.

Scott

More
30 Oct 2019 06:53 #149117 by terry1992
I have a 7i90hd card, and I want to set a project using pccconf.
However the 7i90hd card is not in the list.

Do anyone knows which card should I select?
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2019 07:10 #149118 by cmorley
are you using it with the parallel port ?

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds