Starting from scratch (again) - Next Step - VFD

More
19 Jan 2020 22:58 #155208 by mooser
That actually makes sense, I'll go check that after supper here.
Any chance the ENA- and DIR- are common or are they completely isolated from each other?
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2020 23:18 #155210 by PCW
They are isolated from each other

More
20 Jan 2020 00:05 #155212 by mooser
Confirmed, just tested it. Many thanks
Reversing the polarity corrected the enabled issue.
Made a jumper to "share" the enabled "common" and direction signals (can't verify the direction but I think it will work)

Now need to deal with the speed output. I don't seem to be getting anything meaningful from the 7i76 regardless of the commanded rpm (10, 100, 1000, 2000)

I need to spend some time with a meter and see what's going on there between it and the VFD

More
20 Jan 2020 00:21 #155213 by mooser
I may have just seen my mistake. I forgot the 7i76 is just a pot substitute. I wired it like a signal input (0-10v)
At least that might be my issue, I need to connect the 3rd wire from my VFD (glad I ran all 6) which must be the one supplying the 10v to the pot
One more trip to the garage for the night
M

More
20 Jan 2020 00:48 - 20 Jan 2020 11:57 #155214 by mooser
Success (well, at least moving forward)
Spindle is now up and running and reversing
motor rpm is at 1450 instead of 1720 but that's probably a trim adjustment somewhere
The VFD has some adjustment to calibrate speed and I'm only measuring 5v on the 7i76 and I was expecting 10, I'm sure I have settings in the config out to lunch as well but at least now I can start testing

I still need to deal with the 6 gears, Andy pointed me in a starting direction at least.
(My new encoder gears are somewhere in transit so for now I'm using a laser tach)
Last edit: 20 Jan 2020 11:57 by mooser.

More
20 Jan 2020 16:50 #155265 by Mike_Eitel
Eventusly you have to detach the internal pot.
One additional expirience i made was that going to reverse needed a short off on the enable pin.

More
21 Jan 2020 02:17 #155291 by mooser
No internal pot on this one.
On the old control board it was being supplied 0-10v by the board and I wired it the same what to the 7i76 even though it was discussed earlier in this thread.
Once I hooked it up as it should have been (3 wires) it worked correctly
This VFD will take instant reversing (it slows down and reverses then comes back to speed nicely)

I can now bring the motor (I removed the belt from the motor so it's under no load and the spindle/gears aren't turning) up to 1450 rpm in either direction but it maxes
out there for some reason.

I'm only measuring 5v on the VFD even though I've jumpered it for 0-10v. Been reading the manual but haven't come across anything in there yet
M

More
24 Jan 2020 12:10 #155643 by mooser
VFD working fully now.
Only getting 5v on the vfd because there is a mistake in the manual that said it could use either the 5v or 10v settings when using an external pot control. Updated manual shows that you can only use the 5v with external pot and either 5v or 10v with external signal....
Adjusted the max speed trim and the brought the spindle RPM to max at 1750 (roughly 20% overdrive on the actual motor) and it is working properly again.
I'll need to play with the deceleration trim a little because it seems to try to slow much faster than before and it's trips the momentary over-current circuit on the VFD sometimes when I go from say 1500 to 1000 rpm. Going from running to off seem fine, must be the braking circuit vs the deceleration circuit differences

Anyway, spindle VFD fully working under linuxcnc

On to the gearbox
M

More
26 Jan 2020 17:00 #155821 by bbsr_5a
why do you need reverse are you planing tread milling
use tread mill bits and a G2 P will work for all treads greater then the bit diameter
no need for reverese

More
26 Jan 2020 17:31 #155831 by mooser
Reversing wasn't an issue but I do need it.
I tap (semi-frequent) and was thinking of trying the solid tapping since I have an encoder available... Larger threads I use internal threading (boring style) bars, not sure what advantage a thread mill would be...
Also, I run a fair amount of tubes that need to be faced, counter-bored and chamfered (inside and out)
I use a stubbed boring bar that does the counterb-bore, does the inside chamfer and faces, then the spindle reverses and it does the outside chamfer by running the tool on the far side of the part (rather than changing tools or using special tooling
Anyway, it's working now (the vfd at least)

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds