Requesting Help Setting Up First Machine - Mesa 7i76e

More
27 Aug 2020 04:23 - 03 Sep 2020 14:55 #179647 by TannerFrisby
Hello all,

I am trying to set up my first CNC machine. I don't have a background in linux/software/computers but this forum has been quite helpful! I feel I have gotten very close to finishing, but I've hit a wall and need a little help getting to the finish line. I have gotten to the point of creating a set of files using pncconf, but am experiencing errors and would like some help. There's a chance my error's may not be with pncconf specifically, but I think this is the best fitting subforum to ask my current questions.

Software: I am running - linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-amd64-r13.iso - ( www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/ ).
PC Hardware : Dell Optiplex 760, not connected to the internet

Machine: Eldorado bridgemill + lathe
Driver: Mesa 7i76e

Axes:
X-axis: Closed loop Nema 34 - belt drive - ball screw
Y-axis: Closed loop Nema 34 - belt drive - ball screw
Z-axis (quill): Closed loop Nema 34 - belt drive - quill
W-axis (bridge): Closed loop Nema 34 - belt drive - ball screw

The W-axis is in series with the Z-axis, but (currently) requires a manual unlocking/locking step before/after each movement. The manual lock provides a little extra rigidity, which this machine could very much use. I would like to automate the lock/unlock at some point in the future.

Spindles:
Lathe: Belt driven - 1hp 3ph 240VAC motor - VFD (lathe)
Mill: Belt driven - 1hp 3ph 240VAC motor - VFD (mill)
[planned addition] Router: 6 discrete speeds - quill mounted.

Progress at the time of this post:
I have installed the above flavor of linux, I can ping the MESA 7i76 (thanks to tommylight's mesa ethernet sticky!),and I completed the pncconf.

Problems at the time of this post:

[Resolved: Requires at least version 2.8
1. I could not figure out how to program a 4th axis that is series colinear with the Z axis. There is an "A" axis option, and I have found some posts about gantry-type machines using parallel colinear axes, but I don't think either of those are what I am trying to accomplish.

Resolved: While possible, I have opted for a change in workflow resulting in seperate configuration files.
2. I could not figure out how to program this as a mill and a lathe. I only foresee running the machine as a mill or as a lathe for any one set-up. Should I create a separate lathe configuration and mill configuration and launch the correct configuration given the planned set-up?

Resolved: I will control the second VFD from a USB-to-RS485 as it is a cleaner solution.
2b. I have two VFD's (one for the mill and one for the lathe). The MESA 7i76e card handles one spindle very well using the pins of TB4. I would like guidance on the best way to expand this. My current approach is to wire each Spindle - pin to both VFD's with the exception of the enable pin. I would then wire the TB4 Spindle enable - to go to one VFD (mill for example) and then use a GPIO output to enable/disable the other VFD (lathe). I believe the VFD is expecting 0-10VDC and needs to be pulled low to turn on (It does not turn on as a floating/NC output). Could an output pin be set to either low/float instead of low/high? I worry that 24VDC may damage my VFD. Is there a better way to accomplish this goal?]

3. (I apologise if I'm stating the obvious, but I'm just not familiar with what is available.) My closed loop stepper motor drivers do not report actual position to the MESA board, only a PEND signal if the motor is in the correct location within some negligible tolerance (I think?) and an alarm if position syncing is lost or there is a power-related problem. I do not have nor do I currently plan on installing glass slides (or the equivalent). I think I want linuxcnc to know if one of the stepper drivers alarms out, but I don't think I need the PEND signal. I wired the ALARM + of each axis (joint?) to an input in TB5, but I couldn't find an option for axis specific alarm in pncconf. Should I put them all to E-STOP?
4. I would like to be able to enable/disable the drivers. I wired each axis' EN + to an output in TB6, but I couldn't find an option for axis specific enable. Is it "enable [axis] amplifier"?

[Resolved: The solution was to adjust the generated .hal file's ip address to match the non-default jumper settings on my MESA 7i76e. I had set W3 to "up" which results in a static IP address of 10.10.10.10 . The as-generated .hal file indicated 192.168.1.121 .
5. I tried to test my stepper motors while configuring, but I received an error (attached). How do I resolve this?
6. I tried to launch LinuxCNC using the configuration generated by pncconf, but received an error (attached). How do I resolve this?

Resolved: The problem followed the driver. I replaced the driver. Others who have encountered similar issues resolved theirs by changing the steps-per-revolution, fixing wiring issues, or propererly soldering joints.
7. My Z-axis (Longs Motor 34SSM8460 such as this one on eBay: www.ebay.com/itm/US-SHIP-NEMA34-34SSM846...2:g:vZgAAOSwydZcD0jc ) sounds like an alarm when powered on. I think it might be rapidly oscillating about a set point. It is holding position with more torque than I can apply by hand, but it is very loud and bothersome. The X- and Y- axes sometimes make a similar noise on power-up, but quickly stop. The Z- axis stops making the noise when I connect the Z Enable + pin to field power 24VDC, but restarts when Z Enable + returns to floating/NC. I have checked the wires (although I plan on checking them again) but I am quite certain they are all in the correct location. The noise disappears when I unplug the 4 stepper power wires. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the motor and I'm pretty sure it was present with or without the encoder plugged in. Can you recommend any troubleshooting?]

Attached: Eldorado.zip
configs folder: The output of my pncconf
LinuxCNC Errors: The error message when I tried to launch LinuxCNC
Test Tune Axis Errors: The error message when i tried to test an Axis using pncconf
Mesa 7i76e Hook-up.xlsx: My wiring scheme

File Attachment:

File Name: Eldorado.zip
File Size:48 KB

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your help. Hopefully someday I may return the favor to this community.

Tanner Frisby
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Sep 2020 14:55 by TannerFrisby. Reason: Indicate the solution to problems that have now been resolved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2020 04:53 #179651 by PCW
hm2_eth: ERROR: 192.168.1.121: Could not retrieve mac address

Means there is no communication with the 7I76e

What does

ip a

report?

And is the 7I76E jumpered for 192.168.1.121 or 10.10.10.10?

For gantry support, you would need to upgrade to LinuxCNC 2.8
The following user(s) said Thank You: TannerFrisby

More
27 Aug 2020 15:58 #179701 by TannerFrisby
Thank you PCW for a prompt response! My W3 jumper is set high to a static address of 10.10.10.10

I was able to adjust the .hal file per the instructions here: forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...69-7i76e-quick-setup

I now can launch the classic AXIS GUI.

I will try to upgrade to LinuxCNC 2.8. I was not familiar with "gantry" machines, but a quick google seach shows machines functionally similar to mine. Is LinuxCNC 2.8 capable of a powered gantry in addition to a powered z-axis on the gantry?

Again, I am very impressed with your prompt response. Thanks PCW

-Tanner Frisby
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
27 Aug 2020 20:51 #179738 by tommylight
1 set the A axis in pncconf, then edit the hal and ini files to W axis.
2 the easiest way is the one you describe, make two separate configs. The harder way would be to have a single config that controls everything and capable of switching as needed during work. Doable, requires some editing of config files, not easy.
2b wiring two VFD analogue inputs is not wise, they might be at different potentials and cause damage to one or both. Use the 7i76E spindle control for one VFD and use a USB to RS485 dongle for the second one, if any of them have an RS485 connection. Wiring digital start signals is easy just use different outputs for them ( again separate for each VFD), but this would not be required for RS485 control.
3 you can use the X-enable or joint-x-enable (can not recall exactly) for the alarms for each axis and also use the message component to show what axis faulted. A bit fuzzy on this, sorry.
4 you can have them all wired to axis-x-enable in hal and that outputed to hm2-7i76e-pin number where the drive enable is physically connected.
5 never mind that, you can use "calibration" from the machine menu in Axis GUI.
6 already replied by PCW
7 no idea, never used them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TannerFrisby

More
28 Aug 2020 01:19 #179767 by TannerFrisby
Thank you for a quick response tommylight, and for the guides you have posted in other threads.

I understand most of what you have recommended. I think I will be able to figure it out tomorow using your wording as search terms and through trial and error.

2b. My VFDs are both L510-201-H3-U which have "built in RS485". There is an RJ 45 interface and the documentation mentions "Built-in Modbus or BACnet Protocol via RJ 45 Interface". The vendor also sells an expensive companion cable to connect to the computer. I am unfamiliar with all of this. Can I buy a less expensive generic "usb-to-ethernet" cable and connect my pc to the port on the VFD? Can you recommend a guide or search terms so I can learn more about this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Aug 2020 11:07 #179809 by tommylight
I would still recommend using a cheap USB to RS485 adapter as it requires only two wires (twisted pair) and there are plenty of VFD in use like that on this forum, so setup would be easier. I am pretty sure there are also ModBus controlled ones but rare.

More
09 Sep 2020 17:09 #181468 by TannerFrisby
I am having difficulties setting up the Modbus communication. I have started a specific thread here and would like to cross-reference this thread for future viewers. Also, tommylight, could you provide any guidance for me?

Thanks,
Tanner Frisby

More
09 Sep 2020 21:22 #181515 by tommylight
Sorry but i am not of much help regarding RS485 or ModBus, i still have 2 USB to rs485 adapters and a 2.2KW VFD waiting for some "quality time" with them.
But, see if you can find anything useful here, everything regarding the subject on the LinuxCNC web and forum:
www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=zkZZX...txB7oQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds