A bit of fog in the brain on Pncconf Wizard

More
12 Feb 2021 12:01 #198520 by sibelius
Good evening to everyone

I am in the middle of setting up linuxcnc on my new DIY gantry machine and I have a few doubts about the process.

A brief introduction:
My machine is a gantry type X-Y-Y-Z with closed loop stepper motor with encoders built in the motors and drivers that close the loop.
I did not mount the limit switch at this stage because i wanted to try the motors first.

So what I did was to lunch the Pncconf Wizard instead of the Stepconf Wizard because (in my understanding), Stepconf Wizard is dedicated to card with parallel port and my mesa has the Ethernet port so I went for the Pncconf Wizard.

I set the Wizard with X --Y-- Y2Slave-- and Z

During the first attempt my machine was on and Ethernet cable inserted into the pc.
i followed the step by step procedure and till I come to set the X axis, everything seems fine, the X axis was moving after the test.

After I went on the Y axis when i tried to test the axis, only one was moving and i think that is due to the fact that Y and y2 are synchronize so I skip the test and went on Z.

Z was not moving at all.

So at this point I turn the machine off and manually put back the Y motor that had moved alone.
Now what I think is all this problems arise due to the fact that i should homing all the axis before try jogging.
My first worried is due to the fact that I don't have mounted the limit switch and homing could be a problem, so seems that I have to mount the limit switch before do the homing.

Next thing I did was to delete the config I previously created inside the linuxcnc folder.

Now, with the machine off, I repeated the Pncconf Wizard and after I got my icon launcher on my desktop, double click on the icon and I get an error (machine is off) and linuxcnc does not start.

If I power the machine on I can start linuxcnc from my icon launcher instead.

My question is: it this behavior correct?
If I run any linuxnc sim, regarding machine on or off, linuxcnc start.

Another thing that I notice is that if i run only X everything is fine but when i tried to run Y or Z they don't work and the yellow CR1 led goes on.

I check again the wiring and everything seems in place; after power on the machine all the 4 stepper motor are locked as they should.

Any help or advice would be great.
Thanks in advance.
V.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2021 19:36 #198566 by cmorley
please post your config files and quote the exact error message.

More
12 Feb 2021 22:25 #198597 by sibelius
Good morning
Here are my files.

Thanks for any help
V.
Attachments:

More
13 Feb 2021 00:12 #198622 by cmorley

hm2_eth: ERROR: 10.10.10.10: Could not retrieve mac address
iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?).
hm2_eth: rtapi_app_main: Resource temporarily unavailable (-11)

This is a communication to mesa card error.

Is the power to the card somehow connected to linuxcnc needing to be on?
The following user(s) said Thank You: sibelius

More
13 Feb 2021 02:23 - 13 Feb 2021 02:26 #198636 by sibelius
Hi
Thanks for your answer.

If I understood your question; my answer is no.

As you can see from my pics, I have a switch that turns on an ATX power supply (belongs to an old pc).
The ATX as an output of 12V that trigs a 12V coil relay.
When the 12 v coil inside the relay (that I pointed with my finger, just under the ATX) is energized, the two normally open contact, close and the 240V can flow to the power strip and from the power strip goes into the 24v power supply.
The 24V power supply goes into the same power strip and to the mesa card.
No switch between the 24V and the mesa card; only a power strip among them.

What I am trying to say is that my launcher give this error when the machine is off and the Ethernet cable not connected.
I was expecting that I can start my linuxcnc launcher without the machine on and the Ethernet cable connected but in this case my linuxcnc launcher is not starting and this error comes on.

If machine is on and Ethernet cable in the result is no error and my linuxcnc launcher start with no problem.

if I start linuxcnc from the main window on the top left and run one of the sim (like gantry or any others), the fact that machine is on or off does not effect the opening of linuxcnc.

So at the end my question was: Is this behavior normal or not?

I am not sure if I am clear enough; I also apologies for my poor English.

Thanks again for any help.
V.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2021 02:26 by sibelius.

More
13 Feb 2021 02:26 #198637 by PCW
You would need the7I76E to be powered to start LinuxCNC without error
The following user(s) said Thank You: sibelius

More
13 Feb 2021 02:36 #198638 by sibelius
As I suspected.

So now i have to battle with the gantry set up.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds