pncconf a axis error

More
28 Feb 2021 05:29 #200372 by johnbump
I loaded 5i25_prob_rfx2.bit onto my 5i25 and got a three axis mill configuration working (well, at least I can see the P3 pins toggling on my oscilloscope, so I'm convinced the hardware is doing something right.)

Now I'm trying to set it up for four axis. So I set it up as xyza in base information, and on the mesa card 0 configuration page I increased the number of step generators to 4, assigned A axis stepgen to stepgen-a and dir gen-b, and assigned home pins to x,y, and z, and then went through and assigned the right travels on all of them, and when I get finished with the z axis page and click on 'forward' it pops up an error screen.
Unfortunately that machine doesn't have internet access so I'm going to have to type this in.

traceback(most recent call last):
file"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pncconf/pages.py"
line 88, in on_button_fwd_clicked
if not self[`%s_prepare`%name](): # prepare returning True skips that page
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pncconf/pages.py",
line 1146, in a_motor_prepare
self.a.axis_prepare('a')
File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 4431, in axis_prepare
set_value("P")
file "usr/bin/pncconf", line 4397, in set_value
def set_value(n): w[axis + n].set_value(d[axis+n])
TypeError: a float is required

Any ideas what's going on here, or what I didn't set? I've searched on several terms in here and have found zero hits.
I've gone through my configuration, looking for anywhere that I should have set a default value. I've tried this both with and without a homing pin set for axis A, with no change.

uname -r returns 4.9.0-8-rt-amd64

Thanks for any advice

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2021 06:18 #200374 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic pncconf a axis error
What version of linuxcnc are you using?
It is indicating the P setting in the PID is not a float value - which is weird.
Do you see a weird number for the P value?

Chris

More
01 Mar 2021 05:04 #200504 by johnbump
Replied by johnbump on topic pncconf a axis error
Weirdly, I fixed it by creating an entirely new profile.
Previously I set up an xyz based on my previous xyz.
Then I tried to use that in pncconf as the basis for a new xyza and that's when everything went to pieces.
When I started a wholly new configuration, it did just fine.
So, presumably, it was looking for A axis information in the hal and ini and finding nothing, and that's why it was freaking out, which I hadn't considered. (This is the process I used previously for trying to add an A axis when running off a standard parallel port, and stepconf handled that just fine.)

More
01 Mar 2021 09:32 #200525 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic pncconf a axis error
weird . that shoulda been no problem - anyways glad you did get something to work.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds