Z axis travel/ Program exceeds machine maximum on axis Z

More
20 Mar 2021 16:29 #202993 by Bearfood
I'm back at this finally and trying to figure out new issues. When you hit + on the Z what direction should it travel? I'm assuming up.

When in the initial linuxcnc screen after I home all the joints I can only move the Z axis down which means it won't rise off the table. I also get the error "Program exceeds machine maximum on axis Z" when I try to execute the initial logo program. What am I doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2021 17:52 #203000 by tommylight
Most probably wrong limits/home/offset in the ini file.
If you upload the hal and ini file here we can have a look and point to whatever might be out of place there.

More
21 Mar 2021 15:37 #203123 by Bearfood
I think I've figured it out through watching this video.

It's a great beginner guide to pncconf. I'll try to reset my configuration tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
21 Mar 2021 22:10 - 21 Mar 2021 22:19 #203164 by Bearfood
Spoke too soon, I've got it so that I can travel up but still can't run the simulation with the stated error. Attached are the HAL and INI files.CNC is 48" X and Y with a 5" ZAny help is appreciated. For some reason it's not letting me attach the .ini file so I've renamed it to txt.

File Attachment:

File Name: CNC_Inch.hal
File Size:12 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: CNC_Inch.txt
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Mar 2021 22:19 by Bearfood.

More
23 Mar 2021 17:58 #203412 by Bearfood
Any thoughts on the Hal and Ini files? Sorry, this may not be on your radar after my initial response.

More
23 Mar 2021 19:34 #203419 by Clive S

Any thoughts on the Hal and Ini files? Sorry, this may not be on your radar after my initial response.

[TRAJ]
COORDINATES = XYYZZ

It looks like you are missing joint 4 from the ini

More
23 Mar 2021 20:22 #203427 by MaHa
Beside incomplete .ini file JOINT3 and JOINT4, if retracted Z-Axis is home zero, try this entrys in AXIS_Z , JOINT_3 and JOINT_4

MIN_LIMIT = -5
MAX_LIMIT = 0.001

More
25 Mar 2021 19:43 #203633 by Bearfood
Tried that and linuxvnc errors out stating a problem with axis z max limit.

Not sure what you mean by incomplete joints 3 &4

To the other note the machine has 1x, 2y and 2z joints. I don't think I'm missing one but let me know if you feel that's incorrect.

More
25 Mar 2021 20:05 - 26 Mar 2021 08:20 #203635 by Clive S

Tried that and linuxvnc errors out stating a problem with axis z max limit.

Not sure what you mean by incomplete joints 3 &4

To the other note the machine has 1x, 2y and 2z joints. I don't think I'm missing one but let me know if you feel that's incorrect.

In the ini file that you posted it looks like the Z joint looks incomplete plus if you have 2 motors on Z you need a joint for each one
Last edit: 26 Mar 2021 08:20 by Clive S.

More
26 Mar 2021 19:22 #203741 by Bearfood
I tried setting my z home to be 3 inches above the table. When I run the program it still gives me the error and if I proceed it plunges right down and stops at 0. I'm sure I'm doing something simple and stupid.

The ini and Hal files are straight out of pncconf so I'm not sure how q joint or joints would be incomplete given there were no errors. I've modified again through pncconf but still don't see any issues.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds