Strange voltage on Analog outputs (ssr).

More
06 Nov 2021 06:04 #225478 by Michael
A couple quick points about the product you bought. Since we know your smart and read the description before purchase.

The outputs are isolated Solid State Relays. A quick Google search reveals an SSR is a type of switch not a source of power.

The card does not provide any sort of analog anything much less an output.

Sounds like you didn't bother reading what you were buying and now want to blame that on the developer. The product works fine and is designed for a very wide range of users.

If you want to be upset focus on yourself. Seems you think too highly of yourself to accept responsibility.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2021 06:04 - 06 Nov 2021 06:07 #225479 by Vladcronos
Who said that you have to use all existing outputs to hook them up to common, no you don't need to do that. It is sufficient that for example 2-3 out of 10 are powered or 2 out of 5 or whatever, because powered pins are a must on every board, they are absolutely needed while it is absolutely not a big deal to use an external SSR when needed and in fact that is a much better practice because 2A internal ssr rating is not even good for phone charging, pretty useless anyways.

Or just adding a couple of powered ones on top isn't really that big of a deal and is not even any extra cost, and for the heck of it, if it would make a board $5 more expensive than it already is, would it make it a deal breaker for buyers? I doubt it. And by using an external SSR you are getting a way beefier SAFER in this case SSR relay that can be any type you need (DC or AC or whatever C), which I did many times and that did not feel half assed at all, unlike this solution on my mesa board, where you left wondering why the heck there are ZERO powered signal outputs to the extent where you cant even natively connect ENA pins on your driver.

Just by quick estimate I can tell this board costs about $15 (I produced boards before in bulk) or less to manufacture, imagine how much profit there is already and they cant even add a basic feature for $0.50 extra for their consumers. As I said, corporations are all the same.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 06:07 by Vladcronos.

More
06 Nov 2021 06:11 - 06 Nov 2021 06:12 #225480 by Vladcronos
I actually spoe to mesa on a phone and asked all the questions, because I didnt know which baord to choose. I specifically asked about outputs and how many. And they said it has plenty for my use, which it kinda does, who could even expect that they are not even powered. Thats not something logical that one would expect. I have never seen a single board for any kind of cnc machines without normal type of outputs at all. Especially on FGPA it seems like a must, but they are not even programmable, due to isolation.

P.S: Being smart has nothing to do with knowing every possible thing in the world. Being smart simply means being capable of learning fast and efficiently.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 06:12 by Vladcronos.

More
06 Nov 2021 10:07 #225484 by rodw
I don't really understand why its so hard for you. Using another board with a 24 v output, I had to add a relay and trigger it with a wire from the output that then looped through the relay to field power 0V.

Then there was a stepgen with unused +5v and +5v so  I looped +5v to the relay and all motor controllers ena+. then the ena- signals went back to the stepgen -5v. With a 7i96, I would do the same except I would eliminate the external relay and end up with one less failure point so a more reliable machine.
Mesa have a CommX2 busbar that has two banks of 12 terminals commoned. Using them to connect field power and possibly another for 5 volts, substantially simplifies wiring in a very compact footprint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael

More
06 Nov 2021 10:07 #225485 by d2inventory

Just by quick estimate I can tell this board costs about $15 (I produced boards before in bulk) or less to manufacture, imagine how much profit there is already and they cant even add a basic feature for $0.50 extra for their consumers. As I said, corporations are all the same.

Considering the FPGA alone costs more than your quick estimate I conclude that you're full of shit. The usual egocentric that only considers his only use case and completely dismisses all the other ones because who cares about others after all you're the centre of the universe.

Also only focussing on the raw manufacturing cost for a product just shows even more how delusional you are. I guess this is the good old deflection of responsibility where you want to shift the blame to everyone else except yourself mister world record, lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael, gitin

More
14 Nov 2021 21:34 - 14 Nov 2021 21:45 #226510 by Vladcronos
It is not "so hard", it is just stupid to go that route and use 10x more cables all over the board. That was what I said. Doable of course, but ffs why? 

As a side question - so, I am assuming something as simple as endstops that work on standard 5V voltage now also have to be wired in this stupid way?

And a good idea about wiring, I however already installed a dedicated 5V terminal with 8 outputs, which should cover all my needs hopefully.

The reason I cant understand these design decisions is that I used many different control boards, probably more than 10 different models, and literally all of them have dedicated endstop connectors for example. Coming from that area, I cant wrap my head why... I know this is technically not even a motion control board but FGPA, but the main point of this board is to control motors still, and guess what, endstops go together with motors in 90% of setups, and they are 3.5-5V. And Mesa boards are extremely expensive as is already, $200 for that is way beyond reasonable. And even $130 for 7i96 its still pushing it a lot, but better than nothing of course. Unless they actually have completely different prices for wholesale, I do not see how these board can be used anywhere in large scale product manufacturing.

I conclude that you're full of shit

you can conclude whatever the stupid thing you want, I know you from the other thread, therefore I don't expect much from your replies already . I manufactured PCBs not once and sold control boards that I manufactured, working with China production for over 10 years. Guess what, yes I know how much this costs, unlike you, the couch expert who has nothing behind his back. And yes, this costs $15 OR LESS. This board has been sold for many years, and yes the raw manufacturing cost is called the cost to produce, and this is all what matters. Not like the person who worked for a salary all his life would understand this easy, but I tried. This is one of the reasons America is flying to the bottom of competition now, because of lame excuses of American companies of why they make 500-1000% profits on their products to explain their greed. Now with global market in place, that's not gonna last for long. I am already seeing companies with such profit tactics going out of business every day.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2021 21:45 by Vladcronos.

More
14 Nov 2021 23:00 #226520 by tommylight
@VladCronos
Read this:
www.linuxcnc.org/CODE_OF_CONDUCT/
-
This type of behavior is not acceptable on this forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bevins, Clive S, Michael, JohnnyCNC, gitin

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds