tandem axles

More
27 Dec 2022 09:45 #260382 by dp
tandem axles was created by dp
I am trying to configure pncconf to have two Y axes (one rotates to the right and one rotates to the left) I need help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2022 10:28 - 27 Dec 2022 10:28 #260385 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic tandem axles
You can either swap the phases around on the motors of change the step scale on one to be negative. No sure if any of that translates to pncconf so changing the wiring might be best.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2022 10:28 by rodw.

More
27 Dec 2022 12:41 - 27 Dec 2022 21:19 #260392 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic tandem axles

I am trying to configure pncconf to have two Y axes (one rotates to the right and one rotates to the left) I need help 

Assuming you are asking how to set up the tandem axis, and not how to reverse the motor direction, then do the following:

1. On the appropriate output I/O tab, (P3 in the example picture below), choose the step/dir output that matches where you have your drivers hooked up. Click the drop down and choose Axis > Main Axis > Y Axis StepGen for the first one.
2. Then for the next step/dir output click Axis > Tandem Axis > Y2 Tandem StepGen

That's it for setting up a tandem axis. You will input all the step scale, etc. information in subsequent steps (it will say Y Motor and then Y Axis at the top of the pncconf screen).

As chosen, both motors will spin in the same direction. If you need one to spin in the opposite direction, you can click the "Inv" box next to "Dir Gen-B" for the motor that needs to spin in the opposite direction (this may require some trial and error, just be aware your gantry can rack if everything is attached and you don't get it right).

Below is a screen shot example from a rack and pinion system where Y needed to spin inverse to Y2. I included it because it can be tricky which Inv box to check.

Green is everything associated with Y Axis StepGen (Step/Dir output 1) and Red is everything associated with Y2 Tandem StepGen (Step/Dir output 2). Hope it helps.

Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Dec 2022 21:19 by snowgoer540. Reason: editor woes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
18 Feb 2023 23:58 #264782 by gmn
Replied by gmn on topic tandem axles
Just found this topic while looking for a solution to my issue. I have the same Y-axis configuration but cannot get both outputs working at the same time. I configured the slots exactly as you provided on the screenshot but when I go further and try to "Test/Tune Axis" on the Y-axis page only one motor is driven (I think the one that is assigned as "Y Axis StepGen") while another is holding. When I connect the opposite motor to the output that is working, it starts working and when I only assign one slot (either Y1 or Y2), it also works. So, both motors and outputs are functional, but when I assign Y and Tandem only one works at the time.

P.S. I tried to finish the configuration and start LinuxCNC but got the same, only one output is active. I also tried any combination of inversion, but no effect.

More
19 Feb 2023 01:59 #264788 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic tandem axles
I believe that you first have to home your machine (all axis). Then Y1 and Y2 will be linked together. Search for 'gantry' for more info.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds