Fresh start with 7i96s and CL86T

More
18 Jun 2023 23:23 #273816 by spumco
Duh.  I didn't read the manual closely.

Yes, RJ11.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2023 23:34 #273818 by tommylight
Pretty sure he means there is no such connector at all, given that RJ11 and RJ45 can be easily mixed looking at them.
Also

My motors came with DB15 connectors for the encoder.

differs from the manual as manual does not have such connector anywhere.

More
19 Jun 2023 01:35 #273820 by echristley
Figured it out. I have version 4 of the drivers. V4 does not have a communication port.
But, it does have SW6, which allows you to run the motors in open loop mode. Not what I paid for, but. . .
IT'S ALIIIIVE!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Jun 2023 10:40 #273834 by spumco

Pretty sure he means there is no such connector at all, given that RJ11 and RJ45 can be easily mixed looking at them.
Also

My motors came with DB15 connectors for the encoder. differs from the manual as manual does not have such connector anywhere.

Tommy - the motors have a DB connector on a short cable for the encoder out.  You also get an intermediate cable with a mating DB on one end and flying leads on the other.

Imerely mentioned the color change because I wanted waterproof connectors inside my mill and chopped the DB's off & replaced with some IP68's... and discovered the color change the hard way.  Similar buzzing noise and angry drives @echristly reported.

@echristly - congrats.  Didn't realize they'd removed the tuning port on V4.0, because V3 and V4.1 both have ports.  Hope you can get the issue resolved with Stepperonline.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, echristley

More
19 Jun 2023 18:47 #273866 by echristley
Now that I've got the motors running, and by doubling the servo loop time I've gotten rid of the joint errors, I'm wondering if there is a way to verify the encoder wiring. I've done a very good job of probing the ends of the cables, so I know they're right all the way up to going into the driver.
But, are they coming out of the motor connector correctly?
You can verify the power connections to a stepper by ohming out to find the connected pins. Is there a similar procedure for encoders?

More
19 Jun 2023 19:12 #273868 by spumco
I was about to say you might need an O-scope, but I think there may be a hacky way around that using the Mesa's spindle encoder inputs.

Which motor model do you have? 

More
19 Jun 2023 21:07 #273875 by echristley
I've got this kit: www.omc-stepperonline.com/ts-series-3-ax...supply-3-clts120-v41

The motors are 34HS59-6004D-E1000

I have an o-scope by the way. Connected and sitting by the test stand.

More
20 Jun 2023 00:36 #273889 by spumco
Ok, I'm thinking first step is to confirm the ground pin on both the motor connector and the flying lead.

The product page indicates white is ground.  Check continuity between white flying lead and the DB15 backshell.

Next check pin 3 on the DB15 motor side has continuity with the backshell.

If it's all good we can move on.

More
20 Jun 2023 02:06 #273891 by spumco
Assuming you've confirmed which is the 0v wire... if it matches the pinout on the product page (pin 3, white lead), then you've got a couple of options.

Option 1 is to supply 5v to pin 2 (VCC, red) and 0v to pin 3 (white) and connect your oscope to the A/B outputs.  See if you can pick up a signal while you rotate the motor.

Option 2 - my hacky way - is if you don't have an oscope.  I'd connect the leads to a Mesa spindle encoder input, power the board, start LCNC, and try to catch the signals in halscope.

If it doesn't match, I'd do a continuity test on the extension cable(s) to seeif the colors on the product page (cable, not motor) match reality.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds